Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.6 update hang - Black screen with cursor - must hold power button to shutdown

Following 10.13.6 update message, the OS needed to restart. At this point screen goes blank and cursor points to left upper corner of screen and hangs here indefinitely. Power off only option is to hold power button and force a shutdown. Further attempts to install update or even a combo update fail as the power off sequence will not function. I have tried resetting SMC and PRAM. No change. How can I clear what is halting the shutdown?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 17, 2018 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 10:18 AM

After trying just about every solution I could find I was able to resolve the problem. I also noticed that Spotlight was not working as expected. Typing Disk for example did not find the Disk Utility APP - just web search links. It was my suspicion that something was cached that could not complete somehow and this held up a shutdown? I found some instructions to use Command Line instructions to clear. After running these my MBP was able to shutdown/restart. Following this (just for truing up) I installed the 10.13.6 combo update. All is well now.

Here is what I did (from How to fix a Mac that won’t shut down)

After opening terminal, type all the following commands in the window, one-by-one in execution.

1. rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*
  3. sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*
  4. sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  5. atsutil databases -removeUser
  6. sudo atsutil databases -remove
  7. sudo atsutil server -shutdown
  8. sudo atsutil server -ping
  9. sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

Once you performed the last line, restart your Mac.

Following this the shutdown happened. The Spotlight rebuilt and now works as before. Seems like I have been able to save wiping SSD, reinstall and restore! As always your milage may vary.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2018 10:18 AM in response to FredinPA

After trying just about every solution I could find I was able to resolve the problem. I also noticed that Spotlight was not working as expected. Typing Disk for example did not find the Disk Utility APP - just web search links. It was my suspicion that something was cached that could not complete somehow and this held up a shutdown? I found some instructions to use Command Line instructions to clear. After running these my MBP was able to shutdown/restart. Following this (just for truing up) I installed the 10.13.6 combo update. All is well now.

Here is what I did (from How to fix a Mac that won’t shut down)

After opening terminal, type all the following commands in the window, one-by-one in execution.

1. rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*
  3. sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*
  4. sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  5. atsutil databases -removeUser
  6. sudo atsutil databases -remove
  7. sudo atsutil server -shutdown
  8. sudo atsutil server -ping
  9. sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

Once you performed the last line, restart your Mac.

Following this the shutdown happened. The Spotlight rebuilt and now works as before. Seems like I have been able to save wiping SSD, reinstall and restore! As always your milage may vary.

Jul 17, 2018 2:15 PM in response to Old Toad

OT, Thanks for the suggestions. I tried both but to no avail. Same issue happens on shutdown/restart. I tried logging in as a new user and same thing happens. I have tried issuing a shutdown via command line which yields the same results. The only time since this has started that a shutdown or restart has worked was when exiting the recovery mode - the shutdown or restart works then. Safe mode does not allow a normal shutdown or restart. Is there a way to see what may be halting the process? It is my thoughts that there is something cued up (launchd) that my be preventing? Just a thought and not an expert. I tried clearing caches and this has had no effect either. Thanks!

10.13.6 update hang - Black screen with cursor - must hold power button to shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.