Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

People will finish updating when Photos is in the background

After taking 4 months (I am not exaggerating) to scan all the faces on my Photos I now have this message sitting there and no change for days. It has not scanned all my photos after all as many people have found no faces and just say"people will finish updating etc".

Frankl,y I'm sick of Photos and Iphoto with the cumbersome library which also takes about 2 to copy to and from an external drive. Tired of Apple's file structure which is more about keeping us tied to Apple than being convenient.

Furthermore, I'd like to be able to sort my own library, removing large videos out of there etc but you cant as if you delete files directly from the directory via "show contents" it seems to corrupt the library and you cant sort videos by size in the viewer.

The whole thing is giving me a headache and I think Apple has finally made it too difficult to use.

Unless I get a satisfactory answer to this "People will finish updating"nonsense, I'm moving my huge library (600 gb) out of the Apple Ecosystem onto Google photos.

I love Apple but when their need to control us overrides the need to make things work well I don't love them at all .

iPhoto '11, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), photos app crashes

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 8:49 AM

I now have this message sitting there and no change for days.

Can you tell use where you are seeing this message? Photos may be showing it in two different places:

• If you are seeing this message directly when you are clicking the People album in the side bar and cannot access any people album, it really means that the faces scan has not finished and you have to find out, why Photos cannot access your photos to scan them.
  • But if you are seeing the message at the bottom of the album for individual people, the message is misleading. Photos has finished the faces scan, but there are named people in your library, where Photos could not automatically recognize enough faces of this person. I am seeing this message all over the place in my People album. There are many people in the album, where I have only one photo of this person in my library and the resolution of these old family pictures is poor. The faces have been added manually. Photos is showing the message about "scanning ..." to indicate, that it needs more photos in better quality of these people, to be able to start the album. The problem is, that Photos needs at least one automatically detected face of a person. Any People album with only manually marked faces will show this warning .

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 8:49 AM in response to brettschlesinger

I now have this message sitting there and no change for days.

Can you tell use where you are seeing this message? Photos may be showing it in two different places:

• If you are seeing this message directly when you are clicking the People album in the side bar and cannot access any people album, it really means that the faces scan has not finished and you have to find out, why Photos cannot access your photos to scan them.
  • But if you are seeing the message at the bottom of the album for individual people, the message is misleading. Photos has finished the faces scan, but there are named people in your library, where Photos could not automatically recognize enough faces of this person. I am seeing this message all over the place in my People album. There are many people in the album, where I have only one photo of this person in my library and the resolution of these old family pictures is poor. The faces have been added manually. Photos is showing the message about "scanning ..." to indicate, that it needs more photos in better quality of these people, to be able to start the album. The problem is, that Photos needs at least one automatically detected face of a person. Any People album with only manually marked faces will show this warning .

Jul 19, 2018 8:31 AM in response to brettschlesinger

Use of Photos is totally optional - since you find it do so difficult you should pick a program you do like and use it - free choice is a great thing but use it - no need to attack things you choose to use, just choose something different

BTW - Photos works great for millions and millions of people including several very experienced uses here -- if you decide that you want to fix your personal system and workflow issues post a rational question including details - RANT are unfixable and useless (and against the TOU) - give this a read before posting if you choose to fix things rather than just RANT - Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

and no you can not go directly into the library - you can not wit any database program (Contacts, mail, etc., etc.) - when you choose to use a database you have to use the database program to work with it - again the solution is to not choose to use a database program

if you delete files directly from the directory via "show contents" it seems to corrupt the library and

That is correct. Since it sounds like you have been violating this firm rule that user error is very likely the source of all of your complaints - once you modify the library contents and corrupt the library it becomes unstable and unpredictable - normally the only solution to this major user error is to start over with a new library and stay out of it - there are no user serviceable parts in the library

LN

Jul 19, 2018 9:00 AM in response to brettschlesinger

that does not preclude my right to criticise.

It does here - this is a user to user technical support forum and the TOU specifically forbid RANTs and limit post ot technical questions or positive suggestions

And additionally posting RANTS (your is) wastes time for you, the volunteers here and everyone else actually comes here looking for assistance and is a totally useless thing to do accomplishing nothing

once more time

if you decide that you want to fix your personal system and workflow issues post a rational question including details - RANT are unfixable and useless (and against the TOU) - give this a read before posting if you choose to fix things rather than just RANT - Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question

LN

Jul 19, 2018 8:50 AM in response to LarryHN

Hi, Firstly thanks for making the effort to respond.

Firstly, I made a backup of my library before removing videos directly from the "show contents" route and once corrupted I reverted to the clean copy so that is not the source of the problem.
Secondly, I have to disagree with you. This is not a rant, its a legitimate complaint that I have not been able to solve even with Apple Representatives on support calls, of which I have had 3. I am an extremely loyal Apple user with virtually every device they have made over the years and over 20 current active Apple devices in my home at the moment. I am also an Apple shareholder and have been a huge fan for many years.

My complaints are legitimate and I don't see why I should not air them on this forum. I have no intention of moving away from Apple hardware.

Of course, I understand that the use of PHOTOS is optional but that does not preclude my right to criticise.

I do find the database structure of the photos data virtually impossibly cumbersome and find the face scan time absurd (over 5 months to scan my albums).

I do realise that Google Photos will have its limitations too and believe me when I say that the move away from Apple with any product for me is a big decision.

My photo library is 600 Gigs.

Best Regards

Brett

Jul 19, 2018 9:49 AM in response to brettschlesinger

In that case I would keep the option "View > Show face names" enabled, so you can unnamed faces when browsing your photos. When you come across a photo of a person, that is showing an unnamed faces circle, and the person is one of the people that are giving the alert, name this face manually by typing the name into the text field below the circle. The alert should vanish from below all albums, where you named a face, that has been detected automatically.

. I see that message when I click on People and scroll to the bottom of the People album,

This may mean that some photos still need scanning. Are you using iCloud Photo Library and optimize storage?

People will finish updating when Photos is in the background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.