Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple printing service discontinuing!!!!!

Just accessed one of my photo books that I am working on and I got the following message:

'To create a photos project, download a project extension'!!! Heads up everyone, Apple is discontinuing its photo print serves and in future will apparently have to use 'project extension' i.e. things like Shutterfly. We have until September 30th to complete any projects we have been working on.

Am I the only one to be caught by surprise by this? I have two projects I am working on and would like to have had more time for completion!! Did check out the App store and I am a little confused as to what is suggested!!!!

Gayleen7

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 8:42 AM

15 replies

Jul 20, 2018 8:03 AM in response to gayleen7

More issues!!!! I called up a book I did in 2016 (100 pages!) and almost every page has a red flag on it to indicate a problem!

The red flag can mean, that photos are missing, that you used in the book. If you deleted photos from the library that have been used in the book, they will be missing from the book. The same can happen, if you moved the library between drives and referenced photos are no longer accessible.

There are now support documents about the demise of the print products store:

Jul 19, 2018 9:27 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith Barkley wrote:

There is no notice on the print services website:

macOS - Print Products - Apple

What are you using to print from? It might be that older versions of Photos won't print anymore. Which is a bummer, but consistent with what Apple has done in the past (i.e., with iPhoto).

No - that message is from the current version of Photos (High Sierra 10..13.6) Photos 3.0 adn also from iPhoto 9.6.1

again

so far as I know Apple has not announced this but it does show up when using iPhoto or Photos - I have not found it on any of the print product support pages or any where else but assume that it will happen since the message seems clear

LN

Jul 19, 2018 10:35 AM in response to gayleen7

Every one else too - so far as I know Apple has not announced this but it does show up when using iPhoto or Photos - I have not found it on any of the print product support pages or any where else but assume that it will happen since the message seems clear

there are third party vendors like Photo Book Printing, Color Book Printing, and Calendar Printing - PrestoPhoto who can print products from iPhoto or Photos PDFs

LN

Jul 19, 2018 10:48 AM in response to Old Toad

That is exactly the message I got - I think I understand now but was totally confused by the 'Open App Store' message where I was expecting to see something related to an 'Extension' to the Apple Photos program!! I had a real problem getting one of my books printed last year, so I think they were having technical issues. Will be looking to see what my options are!

Regards,

Gayleen 7

Jul 19, 2018 10:54 AM in response to gayleen7

PrestoPhotos will print books from the pdf file created by iPhoto and Photos. A number of users have tried them and reported back favorably. I just don't know how PP handles the glossy dust jacket. To get a PDF with the dust jacket the size it should be printed one must hold down the Option key and click on the Buy Book button. You'll then be give the chance to save the pdf file without having to purchase the book. I just hope Apple doesn't kill that option after Sept. 30.

Jul 19, 2018 10:56 AM in response to LarryHN

Am I correct that we are still able to compose the books in Photos, i.e. use the formats and styles? I would then be able to generate a PDF file for printing at an alternative printer, hopefully able to generate a similar style book and quality. This is important to me as I have a particular format I like to use for consistency.

Thanks.

Gayleen7

Jul 20, 2018 7:44 AM in response to gayleen7

More issues!!!! I called up a book I did in 2016 (100 pages!) and almost every page has a red flag on it to indicate a problem! (the book showed no issues when I had it printed) I have always kept a PDF copy so I think I can have a copy printed by another source but they are really discouraging any projects as of this moment!!! Also, the warning box keeps popping up every time you go into a project - very annoying!

Hope everyone has kept a PDF copy of all that work!

Apple printing service discontinuing!!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.