Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch says “ too many passcode attempts reset Apple Watch and pair again

Can not get Apple Watch unlocked

Posted on Jul 21, 2018 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2018 10:05 AM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, ejyancey!

I understand your Apple Watch is currently showing you've had too many attempts to enter your passcode, and you're trying to pair it again with your iPhone. I can understand how frustrating this can be, especially since notifications and other options aren't conveniently available at your wrist. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Start out with this article: If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode

Use your paired iPhone

If you have your iPhone, you can use the Apple Watch app to remove the passcode from your Apple Watch. After you remove the passcode, you need to set up your Apple Watch again and restore from a backup.

1. Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together until you complete these steps.
  2. Open the Apple Watch app and tap the My Watch tab.
  3. Tap General > Reset.
  4. Tap Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings, then tap again to confirm. You might need to enter your Apple ID password.
    User uploaded file
  5. Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup.

User uploaded file

Use your Apple Watch

If you don't have your paired iPhone, you can still remove the passcode from your Apple Watch.

1. Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
  2. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
  3. Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger.
  4. Tap Erase all content and settings.
  5. Wait for the process to finish, then set up your Apple Watch again. When asked, restore from a backup.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great weekend!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2018 10:05 AM in response to ejyancey

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, ejyancey!

I understand your Apple Watch is currently showing you've had too many attempts to enter your passcode, and you're trying to pair it again with your iPhone. I can understand how frustrating this can be, especially since notifications and other options aren't conveniently available at your wrist. I'd be happy to provide information that may help you out.

Start out with this article: If you forgot your Apple Watch passcode

Use your paired iPhone

If you have your iPhone, you can use the Apple Watch app to remove the passcode from your Apple Watch. After you remove the passcode, you need to set up your Apple Watch again and restore from a backup.

1. Keep your Apple Watch and iPhone close together until you complete these steps.
  2. Open the Apple Watch app and tap the My Watch tab.
  3. Tap General > Reset.
  4. Tap Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings, then tap again to confirm. You might need to enter your Apple ID password.
    User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Use your Apple Watch

If you don't have your paired iPhone, you can still remove the passcode from your Apple Watch.

1. Keep your watch on its charger until you complete these steps.
  2. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off.
  3. Firmly press the Power Off slider, then lift your finger.
  4. Tap Erase all content and settings.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great weekend!

Watch says “ too many passcode attempts reset Apple Watch and pair again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.