Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore backup... error reading from or writing to

I backed up my iPhone 6 running 11.3 to ITunes (latest version) for Windows (latest version).

Updated iOS on the phone to 11.4 latest and tried to restore backup...

The process starts and runs for a while, getting to estimated time of 41 minutes to complete and aborts with an error message "... because an error occurred while reading or writing to the iPhone."

Now, I do have only 22 gig of available space on my drive, while the backup file of my phone is over 60 gig... it seems that the backup process is creating a directory during the process that eats up all the available space on the drive and aborts when free space on the drive runs out...

Is there a remedy for this?

iPhone 6, iOS 11.3, latest windows

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 2:01 PM

I would try to keep things simple. E.g. move the copied data so it is at say D:\Apple\MobileSync\Backup.

From what you say the original folder is at C:\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup correct? Since you've copied the data you can rename the folder Backup to say Backup2 temporarily. It is going to be deleted, but let's do the redirection first.

For this you need to find the command prompt item in your start menu. Right-click on it and use Run as administrator. Select and copy the following text:

MkLink /J "C:\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Apple\MobileSync\Backup"

Click the small black rectangle at the top left of the command prompt and click Edit > Paste. User the cursor keys to go back to the text <user>, delete it, and replace with your profile name, then press Enter.

If you now look inside the folder C:\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync you will see a new folder called Backup with a slightly different icon. Click on this and you should see the folders inside which are actually stored on D:.

Launch iTunes and make sure that it can still see the backups listed under Edit > Preferences > Devices.

Assuming all is well you should now be able to delete the Backup2 folder and empty the recycle bin to free up space.

Now try restoring your backup once more.

tt2

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2018 2:01 PM in response to US.can

I would try to keep things simple. E.g. move the copied data so it is at say D:\Apple\MobileSync\Backup.

From what you say the original folder is at C:\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup correct? Since you've copied the data you can rename the folder Backup to say Backup2 temporarily. It is going to be deleted, but let's do the redirection first.

For this you need to find the command prompt item in your start menu. Right-click on it and use Run as administrator. Select and copy the following text:

MkLink /J "C:\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup" "D:\Apple\MobileSync\Backup"

Click the small black rectangle at the top left of the command prompt and click Edit > Paste. User the cursor keys to go back to the text <user>, delete it, and replace with your profile name, then press Enter.

If you now look inside the folder C:\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync you will see a new folder called Backup with a slightly different icon. Click on this and you should see the folders inside which are actually stored on D:.

Launch iTunes and make sure that it can still see the backups listed under Edit > Preferences > Devices.

Assuming all is well you should now be able to delete the Backup2 folder and empty the recycle bin to free up space.

Now try restoring your backup once more.

tt2

Aug 20, 2018 2:26 AM in response to maolana

Yes, although if your device isn't working properly and you want to restore it then that might be best done on the machine you already manage it with. If you're moving your library to a new machine you don't generally need to worry about moving the backup too. Just take a fresh backup on the new machine. See Move your iTunes library to a new computer for more.

tt2

Jul 24, 2018 9:19 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks TT2,

I am afraid I am too much of a neophyte to implement your advice by myself. Is there a way you could walk me through this, perhaps on google or anyother app...

Also, do you believe that once I complete the move to a larger drive and tell iTunes to look for back up on the larger external drive, the restore should go through?

US.can

Jul 24, 2018 9:28 AM in response to US.can

To confirm from the original post, you're running Windows 10 and it is up to date?

Do you already have a secondary drive with enough room for your existing backup folder at <SystemDrive>\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup and another 60Gb that is likely to be needed as part of the restore? If yes, what is the drive letter?

tt2

Jul 24, 2018 10:12 AM in response to turingtest2

TT2,

I have just created the following on D: drive

<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

However the existing Backup folder in <SystemDrive>\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup was empty.

Apple's tech was working with the folders/files in Backup folder in

<SystemDrive>\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup

is that the same files you are looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Jul 24, 2018 10:20 AM in response to turingtest2

Correction TT2,

I created on the external drive which is has over 800 gig free the following directory

<external drive>\Users\<User>\Apple\MobileSync\Backup

and copied all files in there that were created by iTunes

I have not erased the original file on the system drive in the similar directory tree.

What should I do next.

Thanks,

US.can

restore backup... error reading from or writing to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.