Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Xsan 5 on High Sierra from Mavericks

Hi there,

I did incremental upgrades going from Mavericks to Yosemite, to El Capitan and now to High Sierra. Each time I upgraded the version of Server making sure that Xsan would mount. It did but In High Sierra it does not automatically mount when I upgraded the server software.

It says I need to upgrade the Xsan volume to Xsan 5 (pic attached). I am able to do this but I concerned if I hit upgrade that it will format the content on my Xsan?

Can anyone confirm that this won't happen?

Many thanks

Greg

User uploaded file

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 7:35 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jul 27, 2018 12:18 PM in response to Greggers2012

User uploaded file

Clicking the "Upgrade" button in that picture will not reinitialize your Xsan volume. It will however upgrade the volume's metadata to Xsan 5. This means that going forward it can only be started from Xsan 5 MDCs. There is no going back.

Apple's free "Xsan 5 Guide" iBook documents the upgrade process. Read "Step 6: Update the volumes" starting on page 58. You can download the iBook here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/xsan-5-guide/id1147264178?mt=11

The following article may also help. While was written for Sierra, it also applies to Xsan 4 upgrades to High Sierra.

Prepare for changes to Xsan before you update to macOS Sierra - Apple Support

Upgrading to Xsan 5 on High Sierra from Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.