Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes lost Artist, Album, and Genre info for 12,000 songs

using iTunes on a MacBook Pro I have spent the last 2 years backing up roughly 2,000 CDs (along with some other music purchased online but the vast majority of it was from physical media) on to an external hard drive.

iTunes media folder location is /Volumes/Hardrive-1/Music Backup 1

Sometime after an iTunes update when I went to add some more music I noticed a number of albums showed empty folders. Almost all of them. In a panic I thought all of the music I had collected over the past 20 years was gone. The hard drive showed that a decent amount of storage space was still occupied so in searching I discovered that over 12,000 songs were now in iTunes Media/Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album.

I can't find or listen to the majority of my collection. I'm gutted.

using iTunes 12.8.0.150

all files in question are WAV files.

using "Get Track Names" i get the following message:

iTunes cannot get CD track names for songs that were not imported using iTunes.

To allow iTunes to look for CD track names for this song, import the song again using iTunes.

the real horse pucky is that of course all was imported using itunes.

I read something about WAV files not retaining ID3 Tag info (i'm not that technical) - I tried to convert a few tracks to see if I could find info that way and the only option is to "Create WAV Version".

I'm out of ideas. I have given away a lot of the physical copies of the discs and much if it is in storage or inaccessible while we renovate. Was hoping to set up all of our media on a media server over the next while but now even though I have the files the majority of our music is effectively missing.

thanks for your help community

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.3.3

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 10:58 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 25, 2018 3:58 AM in response to d.rich.smith

Hi,

As noted tracks in .wav format don't hold tag information. This means that if, for whatever reason, the tracks are added into a new library all that iTunes can see is the filename. It will read this as the song name, complete with any leading track number if present, and assign the tracks to Unknown Artist and Unknown Album. If iTunes is also keeping the iTunes Media folder organised then the tracks get moved out of the folders that previous could have indicated the artist and album they belonged to. Without other details to go on I would assume that at some point you updated iTunes and it dumped your database, and you then allowed it to reimport the contents of your media folder, which would have added the tracks, but all as part of unknown artist/unknown album.

Is there a Time Machine backup of Harddrive-1? Do you know exactly when this problem arose? See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. It might be possible to restore a version of your database that contains the lost metadata. Given it is a Mac that restored database might even be able to find the files that have had their locations changed since this will all have happened on the same volume. If not I've developed some repair tools for Windows that I could try adapting for Mac. I'd start by using the Option-start-iTunes method to review each of the previous libraries one at a time until you find one that contains proper listings of your albums and artists. Once you've done that see if they play. Assuming they do we can then discuss how to put all of the components of the library into the best shape for future reliability, otherwise we can discuss how to repair the broken links.

tt2

Jul 31, 2018 4:17 AM in response to d.rich.smith

With a Mac if a file has been moved/renamed within the same volume then the operating system should be able to locate the file correctly, so the fact that files have been moved might not present so much of a problem for the older library.

iTunes moves files and folders to reflect updated tag information if the Keep Organized option is enabled under iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. If/when you repair a broken link to a file that may not trigger reorganization, even for tagged files where updated metadata is recognised. Turning Keep organized off and then back on again can force all media items to their default paths. The "find other missing items" repair process seems to generally look for a single change in the folder path, so it is unlikely to work when content has been moved to Unknown Artist/Unknown Album.

You can find my general advice on organizing and moving libraries at Make a split library portable and Move your iTunes library to a new computer. You can manage multiple devices from a single library, however managing content from multiple IDs is slightly more complicated due to a feature called association. Details at View and remove your associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support. If your family uses multiple IDs then you might want to look at Family Sharing - Apple. You can copy non-DRM content from one library to another, however you want this in a tagged format (anything but .wav) so that you don't lose metadata. iTunes may not always play nicely with NAS. My recommendation would be to keep the working copy of the library on an external drive, cloned to the NAS as a backup.

tt2

Jul 30, 2018 8:55 PM in response to turingtest2

thank you so much for the response. I haven't taken any action yet apart from I realize I would have started putting songs on the hard drive from my wife's older MacBook Pro. I've just plugged hers in and I can see in iTunes many of the albums that have been moved to the UNKOWN folder are showing in iTunes under Library.

If I try to play one of those songs I know it's going to ask me to locate it.

• If I show iTunes that it is in the unknown folder will it move them to where they should be and keep the correct ID information?

• If I show iTunes that it is in the unknown folder and use it to "find other missing items" will it keep them in the UNKNOWN folder and decide that that is where they belong?

sub-question - how can I share an itunes library between different devices? (We are a family of 5. I'm not purchasing 5 copies of everything).

The goal is to move all of this onto a NAS connected to a Mac Mini to run as a media server for music and movies that we own + streaming additional titles. How can I safely move a library without losing all of the ID/metadata?

-the grateful dan

iTunes lost Artist, Album, and Genre info for 12,000 songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.