Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference Between Downloading Music and Having itIn Library

Hi Guys

I know this might be a stupid question, but I need to ask. What is the difference between having music in your library, ready to play and actually clicking the cloud icon and downloading the track to your librar?. Does the track expire after some time if you don’t download it? The reason I ask is because I just paid money to download a song onto my phone then later discovered with another song that I can actually have the song in my library without downloading it. I hope this makes sense to someone.

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 10:00 PM

If you are an Apple Music subscriber and you stop the subscription, only the not owned songs will disappears from your library (downloaded or not, it makes no difference).

When I say own I mean purchased (in iTunes Store as an album or single song, in other online stores, coming from a CD, etc.), not “rented” through a subscription. In this case you own them and you can download them whenever you want regardless of an active subscription.

I know, even the subscription is a purchase. The difference is that the content of a subscription is not yours forever. It'll last only until you keep the subscription active.

It's like buying a car – say, named A – by cash. It's yours. Forever. Then you add a subscription which lets you drive all the cars the dealer has in its shop (A, B, C, D). Car A is already yours so you don't care. You can find useful to drive B, C and D cars from time to time. When you stop the subscription you have to return the cars you don't own (B, C, D). Car A remains in your garage because is yours. If, during the subscription, you decided to buy car B (again, by cash) then it will stay with you even when the subscription ends.

Downloading in the example of cars would mean having them stored in your garage. You can store any car you want when the subscription is active. When it ends, only A and B can be stored, because you bought them in full price. The dealer knows you purchased them in their entire value so you are eligible to own them.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2018 10:00 PM in response to Msindisi1

If you are an Apple Music subscriber and you stop the subscription, only the not owned songs will disappears from your library (downloaded or not, it makes no difference).

When I say own I mean purchased (in iTunes Store as an album or single song, in other online stores, coming from a CD, etc.), not “rented” through a subscription. In this case you own them and you can download them whenever you want regardless of an active subscription.

I know, even the subscription is a purchase. The difference is that the content of a subscription is not yours forever. It'll last only until you keep the subscription active.

It's like buying a car – say, named A – by cash. It's yours. Forever. Then you add a subscription which lets you drive all the cars the dealer has in its shop (A, B, C, D). Car A is already yours so you don't care. You can find useful to drive B, C and D cars from time to time. When you stop the subscription you have to return the cars you don't own (B, C, D). Car A remains in your garage because is yours. If, during the subscription, you decided to buy car B (again, by cash) then it will stay with you even when the subscription ends.

Downloading in the example of cars would mean having them stored in your garage. You can store any car you want when the subscription is active. When it ends, only A and B can be stored, because you bought them in full price. The dealer knows you purchased them in their entire value so you are eligible to own them.

Jul 25, 2018 11:02 PM in response to Msindisi1

In your library you can store songs you own (e.g. ripped from a CD you bought or purchased in iTunes/elsewhere). They will always be yours. You can decide to keep the music purchased in iTunes downloaded or to download when needed.

If you are an Apple Music subscriber you can download locally any song available in Apple Music catalogue too, even if you don't own them. Moreover you can stream them and keep conveniently a copy of songs you own synced in iCloud. You're eligible to keep the songs you don't own offline until your subscription is active.

As soon as your subscription stops the downloaded songs disappear and you're not eligible to stream them anymore because you don't own them. The subscription is somehow similar to renting.

As a rule of thumb, if storage is not a problem, I suggest to keep always a copy of the music you own downloaded on your Mac. It's your musical archive. You never know what could happen in the future with any cloud service.

Hope it's a little more clear now.

Jul 25, 2018 10:09 PM in response to Marco Klobas

That was a very helpful analogy with the cars. :-)

Thank you so much Marco. It makes sense now. So the only way to keep songs forever is if I paid for them. It’s a bit frustrating though, because I thought by paying the monthly subscription fee, I would have unlimited access to all the music I want. Or at least that’s what all the ads say.

Jul 25, 2018 10:23 PM in response to Msindisi1

Another thing: subscriptions as a concept are nothing new. The problem with digital/modern subscriptions is that you get a lot in the present and nothing in the future.

I mean, a subscriber of a printed magazine can keep all the magazines he/she received even after the subscription ends. With modern content subscriptions that's not true anymore. When you stop paying you have to return everything back. The subscriber have access only to the magazines issued during his/her subscription, though, not the whole publisher catalogue.

There're pros and cons.

Jul 25, 2018 10:30 PM in response to Marco Klobas

I see. So let’s say I have downloaded 1000 songs onto my library and I skip a month of payment. When I pay again the outstanding amount, will those songs be available again in my library or will I have to download them again?

Another question is, how do I sync my apple music downloads across all my devices? I am already signed into my apple account on all devices, but I can only see the music on the device I downloaded it onto.

Jul 25, 2018 10:56 PM in response to Msindisi1

When you cancel your Apple Music subscription the music you downloaded will become greyed out and will not play for one month (30 days). If you re-activate the subscription during that 30 day period they will become active again. After 30 days the songs will disappear. The songs that you “fully purchased” will not be greyed out and will remain yours of course.

About the second question. On your Mac you need to activate iCloud Music Library in iTunes Preferences (it's a checkbox in the General section). On iOS devices you need to toggle iCloud Music Library in Settings -> Music.

Difference Between Downloading Music and Having itIn Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.