Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is JavaScript supposed to be enabled by default for Safari on iOS 11.4.1?

While using Safari on my iPhone X today, I noticed everything suddenly looked strange. Websites I visited no longer looked like it was optimized for mobile viewing. On sites like google the fonts looked different. I did not change any settings prior to this problem. It seemed to have come out of nowhere.

However, I noticed that I was able to fix this problem by enabling JavaScript in Settings > Safari > Advanced. But the odd thing is... I don't remember JavaScript ever being enabled before, and only until a few minutes ago Safari worked and looked perfectly fine with JavaScript not enabled.

Even stranger is that I have an old iPhone 5s also with iOS 11.4.1 installed, and Safari looks perfectly fine and JavaScript is not enabled.

Why did this problem appear out of nowhere on my iPhone X and the only fix (that I know of) is to enable a feature that I never needed before. Is there a bigger issue behind this?

Thanks.

iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 12:40 PM

Ok I think I found the problem. It's actually a minor glitch by Apple. Not sure how it looks on your phones, but if you never touched the JavaScript button in settings, it appears to be in the disabled mode. However, it's not really disabled. That is the glitch. It may have happened with one of the recent iOS updates. I think it's a glitch because on my other phone where Safari was working fine with JS apparently off, I toggled JS on and then off again, and suddenly I had the same problem viewing websites. So I guess it's supposed to be on by default.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2018 12:40 PM in response to AutoSketcher

Ok I think I found the problem. It's actually a minor glitch by Apple. Not sure how it looks on your phones, but if you never touched the JavaScript button in settings, it appears to be in the disabled mode. However, it's not really disabled. That is the glitch. It may have happened with one of the recent iOS updates. I think it's a glitch because on my other phone where Safari was working fine with JS apparently off, I toggled JS on and then off again, and suddenly I had the same problem viewing websites. So I guess it's supposed to be on by default.

Jul 25, 2018 12:46 PM in response to AutoSketcher

Thanks for posting your question and solution, AutoSketcher. I'd had odd issues lately on my iPhone when using Safari. Web sites would take forever to load, and then wouldn't look or behave correctly. Per your note, I checked to see if JavaScript was on. It wasn't, and I had never turned it off. Back on, web pages now work as they should.

Now I need to check my iPad to see if that one was turned off by one of the recent updates.

Jul 25, 2018 1:12 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Interestingly enough, I checked my 5th gen iPad after the update, the switch for Javascript in Settings->Safari appeared in the off position.

However, websites loaded fine, and no issues. I even checked that JS was actually on with a simple JS call in a test page, and it worked, indicating that even though the switch said it was off, it was not actually off.

After toggling it, it seems to now retain the correct state.

My iPhone 7 was unaffected. Switch was on, and JS worked.

Is JavaScript supposed to be enabled by default for Safari on iOS 11.4.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.