Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xserve 2018 not booting after installation

Team,

I need some support here - it's a very tricky thing and I hope to finde support here.

Okay here we go:

Xserve1,1 - booting from 10.5 or 10.6 original installation disc or usb drive - works fine

Installation works on HDD without any problems and finishes nicely.

Upon automatic restart the Xserve will not boot from the/any HDD again. HDD doesn't show up any more at all. Only within the installer but not after the installation.

FYI:

• Lion installer boots just fine but won't show any HDD at all, so not installation possible.
  • Traget Mode Installation works fine until boot, then same thing no HDD showing up

We've tried several installation with 10.5/10.6, safe boot/verbose mode.

Current status: Only the installer works fine and the installation completes but no luck whatsoever after the restart.

I was thinking about a faulty EFI but besides that I have no clue. Anybody here with some thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 3:48 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Aug 22, 2018 5:46 PM in response to Rouven-Rafael

Xserve1,1 is Xserve Late 2006, and that should work up through OS X 10.7.5.

Installations of several different OS X versions all produce the same results: no boot.

Is this original and known-good Xserve hardware, or some newly-arrived or new-to-you and with no previous experience with this particular hardware?

Is this all Apple hardware with Apple disks and Apple ADM sleds and disks that are correct for the 2006 series servers, or have there been third-party substitutions?

Is the Xserve key unlocked?

Tried resetting both the SMC and the NVRAM/PRAM?

Do you have a second 2006 server to swap some parts, and see whether the problems move and where they move to?

A general comment on 10.7.5 and prior: versions that far back increasingly can't establish secure network connections.

Team? That would seem to overstate the reality of participation around here.

Xserve 2018 not booting after installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.