Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX locked into US English

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get my 2015 High Sierra Macbook Pro to swap from US Spellings to UK spellings in its spell check.

Yes, I've told it to use English (UK) in Language settings but it STILL uses US spellings in Safari.

It's a little irritating (I'm English, that's understatement).

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 26, 2018 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2018 8:27 AM

LeapUK wrote:

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get my 2015 High Sierra Macbook Pro to swap from US Spellings to UK spellings in its spell check.

The spell check settings are separate from those for "language". Make sure you have UK English set in system preferences/keyboard/text/spelling (not "automatic"). and also in Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar in any app you are using.

MS Word has its own separate spellcheck settings, it does not use Apple's.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2018 8:27 AM in response to LeapUK

LeapUK wrote:

The spell check settings are separate from those for "language". Make sure you have UK English set in system preferences/keyboard/text/spelling (not "automatic"). and also in Edit > Spelling and Grammar > Show Spelling and Grammar in any app you are using.

MS Word has its own separate spellcheck settings, it does not use Apple's.

OSX locked into US English

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.