Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photo duplicates

I manually move photos from iPhone (iCloud off) to my Mac (iCloud on) so I can manage my iCloud photo storage and backups. Is iCloud able to sort or identify duplicate photos when I move them from my iPhone to my Mac (

OBS, MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), iOS 11.4.1, Photos

Posted on Jul 26, 2018 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2018 9:41 AM

To move them, I just download from the iPhone to the Mac with a USB cable then I sort the pics into albums and it saves a backup on the Mac and uploads them to iCloud. I just didn’t know if I were to do a mass download from my phone or even enable iCloud on my phone, if I’d end up with duplicate photos. I didn’t do a great job of previously deleting photos from my phone in previous transfers to my Mac. Now i have 4,000 photos on my iPhone I want to store in iCloud, but don’t want duplicates, if possible.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2018 9:41 AM in response to LarryHN

To move them, I just download from the iPhone to the Mac with a USB cable then I sort the pics into albums and it saves a backup on the Mac and uploads them to iCloud. I just didn’t know if I were to do a mass download from my phone or even enable iCloud on my phone, if I’d end up with duplicate photos. I didn’t do a great job of previously deleting photos from my phone in previous transfers to my Mac. Now i have 4,000 photos on my iPhone I want to store in iCloud, but don’t want duplicates, if possible.

Jul 26, 2018 10:00 AM in response to johnaugusto

it saves a backup on the Mac and uploads them to iCloud.

Again you need to provide details as requested

none of this just happens - you either do it or there is an iCloud service set up to do it

again

how exactly are you going to "move" them -- if you enable iCloud Photo Library it will not duplicate photos

you still have not told us "how" you are doing this

LN

Jul 26, 2018 10:55 AM in response to LarryHN

Larry, more detail on how I move them:

1. Plug in lighting cord into iPhone

2. Open photo app on Mac

3. Select photos on th iPhone, using the Photo app on the Mac

4. Download

5. Go into recently downloaded folder in photo app on Mac and edit, and drag into sorted folders

6. Mac saves them on the hard drive and uploads to iCloud

Again, my question is, if I selected photos to download from the iPhone to the Mac, is there a way to know if it’s a duplicate of a previously downloaded photo?

I do it this way, as opposed to just turning on iCloud on my phone as a way to allow me to edit and sort photos before just letting everything store to iCloud, taking up precious space. I already pay for extra storage which is nearing capacity.

Eric’s response may have addresses my question or at least how to fix it if I discover duplicates.

But unfortunately I have amassed 4,000 photos on my iPhone, probably several I have already downloaded but didn’t delete on my iPhone.

Jul 26, 2018 11:06 AM in response to johnaugusto

and for the third time - how are you doing this

none of this just happens - you either do it or there is an iCloud service set up to do it

Until you answer simple questions it is not possible to help you

and this was not your original question

Again, my question is, if I selected photos to download from the iPhone to the Mac, is there a way to know if it’s a duplicate of a previously downloaded photo?

Your original question was totally different

Is iCloud able to sort or identify duplicate photos when I move them from my iPhone to my Mac (

And until you answer how you are doing this it is impossible answer your original question

as to your new, different question the answer is no

LN

Jul 26, 2018 12:33 PM in response to johnaugusto

fourth request

6. Mac saves them on the hard drive and uploads to iCloud

How do you do this?

again

and for the third [now the fourth time] time - how are you doing this

Until you answer simple questions it is not possible to help you

and this was not your original question

Your original question was totally different

Is iCloud able to sort or identify duplicate photos when I move them from my iPhone to my Mac (

And until you answer how you are doing this it is impossible answer your original question

as to your new, different question the answer is no

LN

Jul 26, 2018 8:58 PM in response to LarryHN

When the phone is plugged in, I select the photos from the phone’s library via the Photos app on my Mac, and drag them into the downloaded folder in the Photos app.

I do this for both my iPhone and my wife’s (we share the same iCloud account.

So I guess this also brings up another question... sometimes I send pictures I’ve taken, to her phone, and she saves it to her phone. So I guess the duplication question also applies to whether if I drag all of her photos over, after dragging all of my photos over, does Apple Photos know that there may be duplicates?

Jul 27, 2018 1:33 AM in response to johnaugusto

Photos can only recognize exactly duplicate image files.

If you share photos from your Mac with your wife, it will depend on how you share the photos. Most sharing options will not share the unmodified originals but new preview versions created from the original. Photos will treat these new preview files as new image and cannot recognize them as originals, because they are new files, showing adjusted versions or files with different compression or downsized.

iCloud Photo duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.