Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Advanced Mac Cleaner ad pop ups

I don't appear to have installed it - I've searched the application files for AMC, and it's not there - but whenever I sign in to my Mac Air, AMC pops up and starts to run its "scan" and threatens me with dire consequences if I don't buy their crap software NOW.

How can I stop this enraging advertisement for software I don't want from popping up every time I start my laptop?

Chris

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 28, 2018 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2018 10:39 AM

Since I wrote that reply, I downloaded Malwarebytes and it's running now, found the Booking files, found the AMC PUP files, and a couple other things (Mac Tonic), and quarantined them. Now I need to restart -

6 replies

Jul 29, 2018 10:23 AM in response to cholla45

Update: I haven't yet run Malware Bytes on my computer (being reluctant to download another program). But I did note that "Booking.com" had installed itself in my task bar. I put it in the trash and the AMC popups have stopped. Related? I'm thinking they must be.

If it starts happening again I'll go the Malware route - thanks to those who answered.

Advanced Mac Cleaner ad pop ups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.