Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to change color of my outgoing text to blue

How to change the color of my outgoing text from green to blue

Posted on Jul 30, 2018 9:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2018 10:25 PM

Hello, friend!

The short answer: iMessages are blue, SMS messages are green.

The long answer: iMessage is Apple’s proprietary messaging service that replaces the traditional text messages (SMS) transmitted by your cell phone carrier. iMessage has more security and more options than SMS, but can only be sent between Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)

There could be two things happening here. Are your messages showing green for some texts and not others? Or are all texts green?

If only some texts are green, it simply means the person you are messaging has a non-Apple device (and that’s a real shame). Those green messages are being sent as SMS (texts) by your carrier, and there’s no way to change that.

However, if all your messages are green, and you’re certain you’re messaging your friend’s iPhone, you just have iMessage disabled. To enable iMessage, go to Settings, scroll down, and tap Messages:

User uploaded file

Then, tap the top button to toggle iMessage on:

User uploaded file

You’ll probably need to sign in with your Apple ID. Set that up, and you should now be sending blue bubbles!

Hope this helps!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2018 10:25 PM in response to noraplv52

Hello, friend!

The short answer: iMessages are blue, SMS messages are green.

The long answer: iMessage is Apple’s proprietary messaging service that replaces the traditional text messages (SMS) transmitted by your cell phone carrier. iMessage has more security and more options than SMS, but can only be sent between Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.)

There could be two things happening here. Are your messages showing green for some texts and not others? Or are all texts green?

If only some texts are green, it simply means the person you are messaging has a non-Apple device (and that’s a real shame). Those green messages are being sent as SMS (texts) by your carrier, and there’s no way to change that.

However, if all your messages are green, and you’re certain you’re messaging your friend’s iPhone, you just have iMessage disabled. To enable iMessage, go to Settings, scroll down, and tap Messages:

User uploaded file

Then, tap the top button to toggle iMessage on:

User uploaded file

You’ll probably need to sign in with your Apple ID. Set that up, and you should now be sending blue bubbles!

Hope this helps!

Jul 30, 2018 10:33 PM in response to noraplv52

IF your message was expected to go via iMessage (blue) but instead goes

SMS (green) ~ check Settings for Messages in iDevices & see if iMessage

was somehow turned off.

(my choice of words may be imprecise but I wasn't expecting what I found

and didn't take any notes; was looking for something out of place, to fix.)

Mine mysteriously was sending text SMS between Apple product users; and

the setting also affected my Apple device hand-off. Text via iPhone from iPad

would not send, until I found this. Still not sure what the cause; hadn't updated.

So 'unexpected text message colors' may imply another cause; a symptom, instead.

The Mac, iPhone SE, and iPad Mini usually get their location refreshed by use of

Find My Mac (in iPhone) as they all appear there, when within range. This can help

be sure they 'hand-off' to share wi-fi and other features; when logged into iCloud.

PS: after posting I see a good example above of what I found unexpectedly caused

the Green message SMS, when Blue iMessage had been a common feature in mine.

User uploaded file

how to change color of my outgoing text to blue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.