Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(Score Window) Dotted half note showing up as a tie of half and quarter notes.

I input a score into Logic Pro X by dragging notes of various values onto the staff in 4/4 time. When I drag a dotted half note onto the staff, I get a half note tied to a quarter note (within the measure). I have not been able to figure out how to get these tied notes to just appear as dotted half notes. The note appears to me to be the correct length (3/4 beat) in the graphic browser. I have the Staff Style set to Treble with the quantize resolution set to 8,12.

I'm not really a music theory guy, and the Score window has just recently come onto my radar, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

User uploaded file

NOTE: Further experimenting shows that a dotted quarter note comes in as a quarter note tied to an eighth note, and a dotted eighth appears as an eighth note with an sixteenth note rest (after setting Quantize resolution to 16,24). What am I doing wrong?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on Jul 30, 2018 9:33 PM

4 replies

Jul 31, 2018 11:04 AM in response to Indyuser

Thank you for the response. I do have syncopation checked in the Region Inspector(?). Is there another place I need to have it enabled?

I also realized that I made an incorrect statement in my original post. The project I'm working with has two tracks, one I input manually, the other I imported from Band-in-a-Box. I can get the dotted notes to appear correctly in the track I inputted manually. The problem track, I realized, is actually the BIAB imported track. The BIAB track came in with a lot of rests and weird notation issues, most of which were corrected by selecting the syncopation box and forcing legato. Based on information in the Logic manual about changing the display of tied notes by inserting rests (that are not visible), I'm wondering if there may be some unseen weirdness in the imported file. (Although the dotted half note problem appears whether the syncopation box is checked or not.)

In any case, this is what I am l seeing:

User uploaded file

I checked the event list to see if anything weird shows up, but it looks fine as far as I can tell:

User uploaded file

(Score Window) Dotted half note showing up as a tie of half and quarter notes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.