You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a windows laptop to 27" iMac (mid 2011) via mini display ports

I'm trying to connect my window laptop to use the 27" iMac as an extended screen. The laptop has a mini-display port and would plan to connect to the Thunder bolt port on the iMac. Do I need to use a "Thunderbolt" cable or will a mini display to mini display cable work?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Jul 31, 2018 7:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2018 8:41 PM

Charlie,

Sorry but what you are attempting to do simply will not work. It's called Target Display mode and connecting your PC to a 2011 iMac simply will not work. Please review Use your iMac as a display with Target Display ModeThis article will explain which iMacs work in Target Display Mode, what cables are necessary.

Yours is a common question however the answer is always the same, you would likely be best off if you want an external display for your PC to buy an external display rather than trying (and wasting your time) at getting a 2011 iMac connected to a PC to use as a display.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 31, 2018 8:41 PM in response to Charlie Marino

Charlie,

Sorry but what you are attempting to do simply will not work. It's called Target Display mode and connecting your PC to a 2011 iMac simply will not work. Please review Use your iMac as a display with Target Display ModeThis article will explain which iMacs work in Target Display Mode, what cables are necessary.

Yours is a common question however the answer is always the same, you would likely be best off if you want an external display for your PC to buy an external display rather than trying (and wasting your time) at getting a 2011 iMac connected to a PC to use as a display.

Connecting a windows laptop to 27" iMac (mid 2011) via mini display ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.