Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ethernet with adapter, 2018 MacBook Pro, and Thunderbolt Display?

I have a Thunderbolt Display with an ethernet wired connection to the back panel. With my 2014 MacBook Pro hooked up to it via the provided thunderbolt, power, combo cable, I was able to get an ethernet signal through it.

I now have a 2018 MacBook Pro, that I hooked up to the display, using the same cable, with the USB C to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, and I get no ethernet signal. Nothing else has changed. All other functions seem to work, audio and video on on the display, as well as the USB ports with data pass through to the 2018 MacBook Pro. Just no ethernet.

Help?

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 8:06 AM

Apologies... after reading about other Mac related ethernet failures the overall theme was to turn everything off and try again. And while I have plugged and unplugged several times.. this time it worked and I can report that ethernet is now correctly passing through my Thunderbolt Display, via the Thunderbolt 2 adapter, to the MacBook Pro 2018 USB-C

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2018 8:06 AM in response to PhotoBuff

Apologies... after reading about other Mac related ethernet failures the overall theme was to turn everything off and try again. And while I have plugged and unplugged several times.. this time it worked and I can report that ethernet is now correctly passing through my Thunderbolt Display, via the Thunderbolt 2 adapter, to the MacBook Pro 2018 USB-C

ethernet with adapter, 2018 MacBook Pro, and Thunderbolt Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.