Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to check iCloud sync in progress for Photos?

The status shown in Photos and described in HT205409 really only show the status of the last completed sync. It says nothing about in-progress sync.

If you never synchronised before and enable iCloud you will see nothing and won't know if it is working or not.

I turned iCloud on for Photos and see no status, so I have no idea if it is working or not. The only clue I get is if I try turn it off, I get a message saying synchronisation is in progress. However, it says that for days, I don't see any new Photos arriving on either side.

We need a status of the in progress sync, or at least that it is in progress e.g. like an iTunes sync.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Aug 2, 2018 6:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 7:31 AM

Try: On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select Photos in the sidebar, then click Moments in the list of tabs in the toolbar. Scroll to the bottom of your photos. You should see a progress bar and below it the number of photos being uploaded. Above it is the total number of photos in your Mac library, and there is also a pause button that you can tap on to pause the upload if you wish.

Best,

GB

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2018 7:31 AM in response to J from Bris

Try: On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select Photos in the sidebar, then click Moments in the list of tabs in the toolbar. Scroll to the bottom of your photos. You should see a progress bar and below it the number of photos being uploaded. Above it is the total number of photos in your Mac library, and there is also a pause button that you can tap on to pause the upload if you wish.

Best,

GB

Aug 3, 2018 7:35 AM in response to gail from maine

gail,

Thank you for nicely explaining what I'm should look for with an "in progress".

It would be nice if Apple include this information as descriptive in HT205409. I'll therefore mark your answer as helpful.

For some reason my Photos app did not what you described during the initial download (at least not when I looked). After many, many checks and a initial "nothingness" of activity photos would start appearing in chunks, still no progress.

On subsequent syncs all worked as you described.

I attempted same on another mac with the same Photos and everything worked as expected from the start.

I'll conclude thus that this was a once-off issue I cannot repeat.

How to check iCloud sync in progress for Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.