Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro - Frequent Disconnect of Magic Mouse 1

Hello,

I recently switched from a MacBook Pro Mid 2015 to the 2018 model (for cpu speed and more memory) and I am using my old magic mouse V1.

In the past, I experienced the common battery connection issues when setting down the mouse too hard.

But now, I see very frequent disconnects of the mouse even when the mouse is not moved/in hand and also sometimes the cursor gets stuck and only will move a few pixel. The first problem is resolved by clicking once and the latter only by switching the mouse off and on. Very frequent means, it happened twice while typing this *g*.

Since both old and new MacbBook are using the same version of High Sierra, I assume this is related to the new hardware. Are there any known issues with the new MacBook Pros?

One difference though: the new Mac is only connected via WLAN while the old one was using ethernet.

Any help is appreciated. This is really annoying.

Andreas

P.S. tried to reset bluetooth already. No change.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 12:19 AM

53 replies

Jan 27, 2019 1:53 PM in response to Frozen Tundra

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Some USB 3 devices can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Here are some tips to avoid this issue:

• If your USB device has a cable long enough that you can move the device, place it away from your Mac—and make sure not to place it behind your Mac, or near the hinge of its display. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there might interfere with your wireless connections.
  • If you're using adapters or dongles on a Mac computer with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, plug them into the front port on the left side of your Mac, or into the ports on the right side (if your computer has them). These ports are the farthest away from the antennas, making interference less likely.
  • To avoid interference on the 2.4GHz band using Wi-Fi, try using the 5GHz band instead. You can change this on your wireless base station. Bluetooth always uses 2.4GHz, so this alternative isn't available for Bluetooth.

Using USB devices with your Mac - Apple Support

In addition, many neighborhoods are already very crowded with Wi-Fi traffic on the 2.4GHz band, and having just one more device using USB-3 or Bluetooth breaks them.

Oct 18, 2018 10:00 AM in response to atoenne

I too had this same issue. For me it was intermittent, some days it was constant, some days not at all. After doing some research, I read that the Bluetooth and 2.4GHz WiFi use the same antenna. Another reply indicated turning off WiFi resolved the issue. My wireless router supports 5GHz and so I have deleted the 2.4GHz band from my WiFi list and now only connect to the 5GHz band. This has eliminated the problem for me, and still allow me to connect to WiFi. Seems this is an issue with the sharing of the 2.4GHz/Bluetooth antenna and Apple definitely needs to fix it. Until then, I hope this work around helps those of you with 5GHz routers.

Dec 13, 2018 8:49 AM in response to atoenne

Why do I have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer?

Some USB 3 devices can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Here are some tips to avoid this issue:

If your USB device has a cable long enough that you can move the device, place it away from your Mac—and make sure not to place it behind your Mac, or near the hinge of its display. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there might interfere with your wireless connections.

If you're using adapters or dongles on a Mac computer with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports, plug them into the front port on the left side of your Mac, or into the ports on the right side (if your computer has them). These ports are the farthest away from the antennas, making interference less likely.

To avoid interference on the 2.4GHz band using Wi-Fi, try using the 5GHz band instead. You can change this on your wireless base station. Bluetooth always uses 2.4GHz, so this alternative isn't available for Bluetooth.

Using USB devices with your Mac - Apple Support

also, any of these items may be involved:

• Power Adapter cable recall

Apple USB-C Charge Cable Replacement Program - Apple Support

• firmware update for the Apple Multi-Port display adapters (specifically to reduce interference).

About the USB-C Multiport Adapter Update 1.0 - Apple Support

• LG-display recall -- to address Wi-Fi interference so severe, it knocks the Router off the air if too near the Router.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/02/03/lg-fixes-wifi-interference-problems-with-ultrafin e-usb-c-5k-display-new-units-unaffected/

Jan 8, 2019 7:53 PM in response to maxfielfd

the 2.4 HGz is part of the modem and there is no way to turn it off. This is also true for the other major WiFi provider in my area, so there is no way around this, not to mention some of my other hardware in-house does not work on 5GHz.

There is a way to reduce the automatic connection to 2.4GHz, and thereby reduce the amount of traffic on that band. Most Routers have a way to give each band (2.4 and 5) its own unique name. They remain part of the same network for all other purposes, but you can "steer" your connection by selectively connecting to only the 5Ghz [sub]-Network.

Double (now triple) crossing my fingers that someone from Apple is reading this thread and can push out an OS update that will fix ...

Apple Engineering and Marketing types do not read what you post here -- they have other communication channels, such as the feedback link.

Product Feedback - Apple

There is no standard way to escalate problems from here. If other readers cannot help you solve your issues, you need to contact Apple support through other means than this one.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Jan 10, 2019 10:27 AM in response to Golge123123

Apple Engineering and Marketing types do not read what you post here -- they have other communication channels, such as the feedback link.

Product Feedback - Apple

There is no standard way to escalate problems from here. If other readers cannot help you solve your issues, you need to contact Apple support through other means than this one.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Jan 28, 2019 9:33 AM in response to MKberlin

I do not mean to be patronizing, but there is a certain amount of truth to what you are writing, in this sense:

No one who make decisions about fixing the issues you are complaining about visits these forums or reads these postings. So the number of posters here, and the strong convictions those posters have, can not make a difference when posted here.

So you are like the Preacher who is preaching a very compelling sermon, but to a church that is empty except for the choir, all of whom are already convinced.

I have already posted the approved methods for getting individual problems fixed. The other outlet for voicing your displeasure with the status quo is not to add more postings to this or similar threads on this User-to-User forum, but to send a summary of your feelings HERE:

Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 8, 2019 8:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Appreciate this help.

I did connect to the 5GHz band and still have my Magic Mouse diconnecting. I *believe* my wireless networks are named separately (attaching picture, Maxnet 2.4 and Maxnet 5) - like I said, I am now connected to the 5, but I am worried the MBPro is somehow still seeing the different 2.4Ghz, and that is somehow breaking it.

Can you tell me how to instruct the computer to avoid *all* 2.4GHz connections? I appreciate it! I have already spent a fair amount of time with Apple Support and they were not able to help fix this problem.

Aug 10, 2018 10:44 PM in response to atoenne

I'm having the exact same issues with mine. I recently moved to the newer 2018 model from my 2015 model with the same old magic mouse.

I also see the same error messages on the console, which is how I found this post.

I've reset the PRAM/NVRAM, SMC, Bluetooth (through the bluetooth debug option), and Factory reset all connected Apple devices (through the bluetooth debug option).

After having these issues I reconnected it to my 2015 MBP and had no issues...

To add just a little more info:

I have all of the updates applied to both MBPs, and I ensured that the mouse was removed from the old MBP.

Aug 26, 2018 6:44 AM in response to towen27

I, too, upgraded to a 2018 MBP a week ago and have been having Magic Mouse V1 issues exactly as you two have described. Frequent disconnects, error -3903 (peer doesn't exsit [sic]) error messages, and no change after battery swap, paper/foil shims, resetting PRAM/SMC/Bluetooth, and resetting the mouse to factory defaults.

However, I've replaced the mouse with the newest version and am still having these issues - same Console pattern, same error messages. In fact, I've seen "Connection Lost/Connected" messages 8 times while typing this message. I'm curious to see if your issues returned in the last two weeks after replacing.

This happens in multiple environments as well, whether I'm in my home office downstairs, or upstairs in the living room, or out of my house. I don't think it's interference.

I had a 2017 MBP before and never had these kinds of issues.

Here's the console log on a disconnect event:

default 09:42:12.737194 -0400 bluetoothd EVENT: DisconnectionComplete

default 09:42:12.737297 -0400 bluetoothd EVENT: Disconnection Complete: Connection Timeout

default 09:42:12.742378 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController deviceDestroyed] count = 0 previousCount = 1

default 09:42:12.742423 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController deviceDestroyed] seconds of numberConnectedDevices[1] = 63817

default 09:42:12.742460 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] deviceDestroyed

default 09:42:12.742492 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven]

default 09:42:12.744857 -0400 bluetoothd == IOBluetoothBroadcomSchedulerWorkaround start

default 09:42:12.746319 -0400 bluetoothd USBProductID 0x7B USBVendorID 0x5AC

default 09:42:12.746360 -0400 bluetoothd schedularWorkaroundActive? 0

default 09:42:12.746388 -0400 bluetoothd active? 0

default 09:42:12.746415 -0400 bluetoothd == IOBluetoothBroadcomSchedulerWorkaround end

default 09:42:12.746445 -0400 bluetoothd == IOBluetoothBroadcomSchedulerWorkaround start

error 09:42:12.747126 -0400 AirPlayXPCHelper Dave Werner's Mouse has no service mask

default 09:42:12.747720 -0400 bluetoothd USBProductID 0x7B USBVendorID 0x5AC

default 09:42:12.747762 -0400 bluetoothd schedularWorkaroundActive? 0

default 09:42:12.747818 -0400 bluetoothd active? 0

default 09:42:12.748041 -0400 bluetoothd == IOBluetoothBroadcomSchedulerWorkaround end

default 09:42:12.748168 -0400 bluetoothd ***** [BluetoothHCIEventNotificationMessage] kBluetoothHCIEventDisconnectionComplete

default 09:42:12.749539 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] PowerSource -2.000000 -2.000000

default 09:42:12.749587 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] SystemState 0xE0000300 0xE0000300

default 09:42:12.749626 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] LidStatus 1 1

default 09:42:12.749657 -0400 bluetoothd Apple HID device count: 0

default 09:42:12.749659 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] BluetoothState 1 1

default 09:42:12.749733 -0400 bluetoothd updateAppleHIDConnectionIntervals - connectedAppleDevices 0

default 09:42:12.749693 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] StateApple80211 4 4

default 09:42:12.749774 -0400 bluetoothd updateAppleHIDConnectionIntervals - twoSniffAttemptDeviceCount 0

default 09:42:12.749726 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] FlagsApple80211 0x00000008 0x00000008

default 09:42:12.749813 -0400 bluetoothd updateAppleHIDConnectionIntervals - connectedSCODeviceCount 0

default 09:42:12.749760 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] ConnectedDevices 1 0

default 09:42:12.749796 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] ConnectedDeviceTypes 0x0000000B 0x00000000

default 09:42:12.749828 -0400 UserEventAgent [BTUserEventAgentController messageTracerEventDriven] update to latest event information

error 09:42:12.753050 -0400 bluetoothd Apple80211Get(APPLE80211_IOC_BTCOEX_MODE) returned error -3903

Looking for any additional insight or anything anyone else has tried. Getting work done is nearly impossible.

Aug 26, 2018 7:22 AM in response to dwerner80

I'll add to this that I'm also using an Apple Wireless Keyboard (a pretty old one that uses 3 AA batteries) and it has no problems staying connected to this 2018 MBP.

I switched to a wired keyboard to rule out interference for the Magic Mouse issue, but there was no change to the mouse connectivity.

So, I don't think it's a systemic Bluetooth issue on the MBP, but just something that's not working right with Magic Mouse, both V1 and V2.

Sep 25, 2018 7:07 AM in response to atoenne

I am also experiencing this issue with my new 2018 MacBook Pro. I went from a 2015 MacBook Pro to this one. I didn't have any issues with my Apple Mouse v1 and the 2015 MBP. Now, I get frequent disconnects and erratic behavior of the mouse on my 2018 MBP. It seemed as though I was experiencing this mostly in clamshell mode, when I kept the lid open, it seemed to have gone away. Then I upgraded to Mojave, and even with the lid open its been happening. Probably a coincidence. I've also done some bluetooth debugging and have the logs of when it disconnects if anyone is interested. Apple, please help!

Oct 12, 2018 2:20 PM in response to Pierre-Yves B

Same issue here, MMv1 worked fine on my 2013 MacBook Air, never an issue, and now with a new 2018 MBP it's disconnecting several times an hour. Disconnects, need to move the mouse around and click it, then a few seconds later it's back in business. Definitely an annoyance.

Hoping shutting off Handoff isn't the long-term solution, though I'll try that tonight, thanks Pierre-Yves B.

Would also love to not have to buy a MMv2, with its lightning to usb cable that I can't even plug into this expensive new laptop.

New MacBook Pro - Frequent Disconnect of Magic Mouse 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.