Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video card for photographers

Hi all.

I am a freelance photographer and my PowerMac G5 dual 2.0, 20" monitor is a fundamental tool for my activity.
I have no problems at all about storage and memory but I find a bit weak the image elaboration workflow.
At the moment I have installed an AGP card (ATI 9600) installed, but I would like to improve the image processing performances.
I use Aperture and Photoshop CS2.
What card can you suggest with a good value for price ?
C

Marco

Mac G5 2.0 dual, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 9, 2007 12:42 AM

7 replies

Feb 9, 2007 4:15 AM in response to marco963

Hi Marco

The "normal", as you say is a PC version. To run in a Mac, it has to be a Mac edition- different ROM, etc.
The price difference is what we call a "Mac Tax".
Because there are more PC's than Mac's, the makers can get by on volume with the PC cards. I guess they figure if you can run a superior machine, you can pay a superior price.
There is not one Mac owner who hasn't questioned, or been maddened, by the price differences ......

G4 AGP(450)Sawtooth Mac OS X (10.4.8) 2ghzPPC,1.62gbSDRAM, ATI9800, DVR-109,(IntHD)120&160,LaCie160,23"Cinema Display

Feb 9, 2007 4:27 AM in response to japamac

The "normal", as you say is a PC version. To run in a
Mac, it has to be a Mac edition- different ROM, etc.
The price difference is what we call a "Mac Tax".

G4
AGP(450)Sawtooth Mac OS X (10.4.8)
2ghzPPC,1.62gbSDRAM, ATI9800,
DVR-109,(IntHD)120&160,LaCie160,23"Cinema
Display

Hello JapaMac.

I am aware that the Mac World is more expensive than PC one and we all know that the difference is substantial, not formal. What I cannot understand is seeing the same piece of hardware (probably with only a different firmware) sold at more twice the price.

This is a steal IMHO...

Feb 9, 2007 4:57 AM in response to marco963

Yes, it's a scam. It is made worse by the lack of supply.
When ATI quit making the cards (supposedly to retool for RoHS), stocks disappeared. The cards that are now reappearing are most probably old stock, and timed to take advantage of the "no supply, high demand" situation.
The only Mac card that ATI shows as "in stock" is the x1900. All others are "will be shipped when available" status. The problem with that is, there is no specified time frame.
If you are so inclined, try finding someone who can flash a PC card to Mac spec for you. you can find out more about flashed cards at www.strangedogs.com. Create a free user account, log in, and you can find all about flashing, how-to's, and some who will flash a card for you (for a small fee).

G4 AGP(450)Sawtooth Mac OS X (10.4.8) 2ghzPPC,1.62gbSDRAM, ATI9800, DVR-109,(IntHD)120&160,LaCie160,23"Cinema Display

Video card for photographers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.