Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Apple ID password in recovery mode

Please suggest method to reset password for Apple ID in recovery mode , I do remember the Apple ID also I am aware of apple articles to reset the Apple ID password and don't want to use the methods in the article .

Using Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.6

macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 8:58 AM

Got it, thanks. In Recovery Mode, what is preventing you from using the instructions as described in If you forgot your Apple ID password?

Describe the steps you followed, and which one is preventing further progress.

I still don't understand the relevance of Recovery Mode. I surmise you are unable to log in to your Mac, but strictly speaking don't need to use Recovery Mode to reset your Apple ID password. In fact, you can't use it since the resetpassword utility requires your Apple ID. If that describes your circumstances then you will need to follow the instructions under "If you can't access any of your devices".

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2018 8:58 AM in response to tygb

Got it, thanks. In Recovery Mode, what is preventing you from using the instructions as described in If you forgot your Apple ID password?

Describe the steps you followed, and which one is preventing further progress.

I still don't understand the relevance of Recovery Mode. I surmise you are unable to log in to your Mac, but strictly speaking don't need to use Recovery Mode to reset your Apple ID password. In fact, you can't use it since the resetpassword utility requires your Apple ID. If that describes your circumstances then you will need to follow the instructions under "If you can't access any of your devices".

Aug 3, 2018 9:50 PM in response to tygb

Thanks. Beneath that password field should be in small blue text: "Forgot your Apple ID Password".

Does that appear? If so click it, and the next page that appears will ask for your Apple ID. You need to know that. Type it, then the next page that appears will offer to provide password reset instructions via email or a trusted phone number (examples below).

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

As you can probably surmise those are essentially the same ways of resetting your Apple ID password using Apple's iforgot webpage, so unless there is something I don't understand, using Recovery mode isn't particularly helpful. You can use anything... Mac, PC, iPhone, doesn't matter.

There may be options other than sending you an email or text message, but I don't know what they might be. If neither email nor a textable phone number are useful, then I am out of ideas and you'll need to contact Apple directly.

Aug 3, 2018 10:03 PM in response to John Galt

When I used the method using the second screen shot of yours it didn't prompted my trusted mobile number but an Apple ID , while creating Apple ID initially , a rescue mail was created by me .

Followed these steps -

Shut down the Mac , press command and R and power key , the bars loads let it be completed , select language as English , click on encircled right arrow .

From the top menu bar > click on utilities > click on terminal > type resetpassword and click on enter key on the keyboard .

A window shows if you can’t log into your computer because you forgot your password , you can reset it now .Select a user to reset password the password for , so click forcefully the user name and click on next .

A prompt will show enter the password for apple id and empty password field will be shown , don’t type anything in the password field , click on forgot Apple ID and password ?

A small circle will rotate after a while a window will appear showing , enter your Apple ID to continue your Apple ID is the email address or phone number you use to sign in to the iCloud the App Store , or iTunes .The Apple ID will be written and two options will be shown ( a ) Back ( b ) continue so click on continue a small circle will rotate .

After a while , a window appears showing select how you want to reset your password .

( a ) Reset by email .

An email with reset instructions will be sent to your email address .

( b ) Answer security questions .

Answer security questions and change your password now .

You can check the box of reset by email .

Two options will be shown ( a ) back ( b ) continue . So click on continue .

A window appears password reset email sent .

an email has been sent to your rescue email address 
.Follow the directions in the email to reset your password .

Two options will be shown ( a ) back ( b ) ok , so click on ok .

Now , open your web mail rescue account by entering the mail address and password , in the mai inbox click on the mail it will be showing .

Dear 
.your first name and last name will be written .

You recently made a request to reset your id .Please click the link below to complete the process .

Reset now >

If you did not make this , if you did not make this change or you believe an unauthorised person has access your account , go to iforgot.apple.com to reset your password without delay .Following this , sign into your Apple ID account page at https://appleid.apple.com to review and update your security settings .

You have to click on reset now >

A window will appear , enter the new password , in the confirm password field type the same password , and click on reset password .

The Apple ID password is changed from recovery mode .

User uploaded file

And a thought do you know how to change Apple ID password by opening system preferences > iCloud , and also using find my phone feature , resetting questions and answers for Apple ID in recovery mode , any thought will be highly appreciated or I can create a new thread and ask these questions , but you guided me in the right way,

Thanks .

Aug 5, 2018 1:36 PM in response to John Galt

There is a way to reset the password , by opening system preferences > click on iCloud .

User uploaded file

Click on forgot password .

User uploaded file

Click on continue .

User uploaded file

Again click on continue in the above screen shot .

User uploaded file

Again click on ok in the above screen shot .

I'll open my web mail account , by entering the mail address and password , open inbox a mail has been arrived .

User uploaded file

A window appears , and click on reset password .

User uploaded file

Now , have to enter the new password and confirm the same password in the empty fields and click on done .

The Apple ID password is changed .

If I have used the other option , change it using my birthday date , it could also be changed .

Both recovery mode , and this method " always " work and the password is changed successfully .

Apple article also leads to click on forgot password , the concept is same as passwords are all stored in iCloud Keychain access , the method is typical but quite interesting to change .

Also , using find my phone feature can change the Apple ID password , I am working on it but that is when the user has enabled two factor authentication , I'll let you know ( will take help from apple support advisor ) .

Thanks !

Aug 3, 2018 7:20 AM in response to tygb

The instructions don't really change for Recovery Mode and it's not clear to me wither you want to change the Apple ID password, or if you need to reset the Apple ID password.

Either way though, you have to load the desired web page, whether that's using Safari in Recovery Mode, or not. In that regard there is nothing particularly unique to using High Sierra either.

Aug 5, 2018 11:32 AM in response to tygb

tygb wrote:

And a thought do you know how to change Apple ID password by opening system preferences > iCloud , and also using find my phone feature , resetting questions and answers for Apple ID in recovery mode ,

Nope. There is no way for a user to reset his or her Apple ID password other than using the methods described in the Apple Support documents you already know about. If none of them are an option, those same documents eventually instruct the user to contact Apple Support.

System Preferences > iCloud can't do it, nor can any of the options available in Recovery mode, nor can Find My iPhone. If all of them fail, you need to have a real-time conversation with a human being, so be sure to contact Apple using the above link as a starting point.

Aug 3, 2018 9:15 AM in response to John Galt

In recovery mode , when I click on utilities > click on terminal and type resetpassword and click on enter key my Apple ID is written , the password field is empty , as I don't remember the password for Apple ID and can't fill up password field , how to further proceed and then in the end change the password .

Take enough time , you will solve it I knew 😁 .

Change Apple ID password in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.