Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need a payment source on my phone if I’m downloading a free app?

Why do I need a payment source on my phone if I’m downloading a free app? Using an IPhone 6 and have 1 upgrade to do. This is something new. What can I do? I don’t want to add a payment source

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 12:59 PM

This may help Create or use your Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

If you are setting up an Apple ID for the first time it should not require a payment method, if on the other hand you have an existing Apple ID and you access one of the stores for the first time a payment method is necessary, but once that first access is done you can then remove your details by selecting “none” under the relevant section.

If you say all was working fine before I can only assume something has reset the process, I would try entering your details, make a free purchase, delete your details by selecting “none” and then try to download another free App.

If when trying to remove your purchase details the “none” option is not available there is a link to talk you through the process to correct that situation.

Trust the above helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2018 12:59 PM in response to Cesh72

This may help Create or use your Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

If you are setting up an Apple ID for the first time it should not require a payment method, if on the other hand you have an existing Apple ID and you access one of the stores for the first time a payment method is necessary, but once that first access is done you can then remove your details by selecting “none” under the relevant section.

If you say all was working fine before I can only assume something has reset the process, I would try entering your details, make a free purchase, delete your details by selecting “none” and then try to download another free App.

If when trying to remove your purchase details the “none” option is not available there is a link to talk you through the process to correct that situation.

Trust the above helps.

Why do I need a payment source on my phone if I’m downloading a free app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.