Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WPA3 capability on the current MacBook Pro?

Is there any conclusive data on whether the wireless network adapters on the current MacBook Pro models will be upgradable to the new WPA3 spec as it rolls out? I am ready to replace my late 2008 unibody MacBook but before doing so I want to make sure I don't buy hardware that within months isn't capable of using the latest security.

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 5, 2018 8:08 AM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2018 9:49 AM in response to spongmonger

There is not clear statement on in this regard.

[Also not clear is how or if Apple could adapt it's aging AirPort hardware to the new security protocol. While Apple's routers are still available for sale, the last upgrade to the hardware was made in June 2013, and Apple has cleared out the dedicated AirPort hardware division. However, Apple has continued to update the family's firmware, and has told AppleInsider that it will keep the AirPort "as safe as possible for as long as possible."]

ref: Wi-fi to get security updates in 2018 with new WPA3 protections, old hardware likely left behind

[Adoption news is brighter on the WPA3 side of things. Many companies have already announced their support, including Qualcomm, which has already starting making a chip for phones and tablets that supports 802.11ax and WPA3.]

ref: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/26/17501594/wpa3-wifi-security-ce rtification

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

WPA3 capability on the current MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.