Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud storage set up

I have a system where all photos, videos and documents are both on my Mac and the cloud but my computer is quickly losing storage. I'd like to know how to delete photos from the computer and uploading them to the cloud and only keeping them on the cloud. Please tell me how this is possible or if its a good idea.

Thank you

Herbie

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Macbook Pro from 2014 13"

Posted on Aug 6, 2018 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2018 11:53 AM

iCloud is a syncing system, not an external storage system. If you delete them from the device/computer they will be deleted from iCloud. For the computer, go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and select Optimize. That will reduce the space required by about 90% when fully effective.

For what you want to do, you need a different cloud based solution such as Dropbox, OneDrive, or Flicker.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2018 11:53 AM in response to PracticallyPractical

iCloud is a syncing system, not an external storage system. If you delete them from the device/computer they will be deleted from iCloud. For the computer, go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and select Optimize. That will reduce the space required by about 90% when fully effective.

For what you want to do, you need a different cloud based solution such as Dropbox, OneDrive, or Flicker.

icloud storage set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.