Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Vault App Removed. How to get my photos?

The photo vault app for iPhone is no longer available on the App Store . Therefore you can’t get into it or update it. I had photos only saved in there and not backed up anywhere else.

How can I get them back?

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 2:57 PM

Are they backed up? If they are get a program such as backup extractor or similar program for your computer and see if you can remove them from the backup of that app.

5 replies

Aug 8, 2018 4:37 AM in response to Jone1990

If a developer abandons their app, there’s nothing really you can do. In the future, never trust any data you value to a single source for storage. Always make sure you have some independent backup of that data (export the images to an encrypted folder on your laptop or desktop, or somewhere like Dropbox or Google Photos).

The reality of software licensing is that EULA‘s allows a developer to walk away from their software whenever they chose to. So while using something like Photovault may be fine, just make sure you have your data itself backed up somewhere independent of that app. That goes for any proprietary encrypted storage, like password managers (many of which do offer the ability to export the database as CSU text, which can again be saved in an encrypted folder somewhere).

Aug 8, 2018 6:05 AM in response to Jone1990

The backup I was referring to is your iPhone backup. Data from apps is stored in that backup so with the software I referred to you may be able to get your photos. You are late to the game, there were a lot of these posts about a year ago and many were able to retrieve data in the manner I described.

Photo Vault App Removed. How to get my photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.