Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messenger emojis missing.

Hello-

The emoji button (the world button and/or smiley face) is missing from Messenger On my iPhone.

I can create an emoji via predictive text (typing the word “horse“ and having an emoji of a horse appear for example) but sometimes I want to select something specific.

I have gone to keyboards in settings. To start with a clean slate I deleted the third party GIF keyboard I had installed. I then created a new keyboard and selected the “emoji” option but it doesn’t change anything and the emoji button still doesn’t appear in Messenger where it used to be.

Can anyone help? It’s very frustrating.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 9, 2018 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2018 7:24 AM

See this article: How to Fix Missing Emoji Icon on Apple Keyboard

5 replies

Aug 9, 2018 10:27 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The generic Apple iPhone messenger is the app I am having emoji issues with. As stated I have gone into settings, selected keyboard, selected new keyboard, and then selected emoji keyboard.

Having followed those steps nothing takes effect. There is no access to emojis other than via predictive text in the Apple iPhone Messenger.

Before creating the new keyboard I also deleted the existing keyboards including a third party GIF keyboard from Tenor. I did this so as to start with a clean slate.

The emojis are available on my regular keyboard. For example I can add an emoji into this message.

🤔

I just can’t add a them in Apple iPhone Messenger which is the only place I really ever use them.

Thanks for any help.

Aug 9, 2018 10:47 AM in response to Adrian Smith4

Adrian Smith4 wrote:

The generic Apple iPhone messenger is the app I am having emoji issues with.

Ok, so you don't mean Messenger, you mean Messages. It may sound as if I'm nitpicking but they are very different apps and troubleshooting steps can be quite different.

What do you mean you "created a new keyboard"? The way to add a new keyboard is Settings>General>Keyboard>Keyboards>Add New Keyboard and then select the keyboard you want. Is that what you did? Can you try adding another keyboard (e.g. Spanish). If you add that, does the globe key appear?

Have you tried force quitting Messages? Double tap the Home button then swipe the Messages window up. It should disappear.

Messenger emojis missing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.