Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable autoplay video Safari iOS 11? Workarounds?

I posted this question previously for iOS 10.x and was told by the good members of this community that it was expected in iOS 11.

Just upgraded to 11 after paying off my 128GB iPhone 6s Plus and having it serviced at the Apple Store but discovered there’s STILL no way to stop autoplay videos, unless I’ve missed it?

On a trip last year, I blew through my more-than-adequate data plan before realizing it was autoplay video. I’m about to leave again on a trip. Any workarounds? I’ll need web access so “don’t websurf“ won’t work but don’t need the fancy packaging most sites use now.

I’m a savvy longtime Mac user and very comfortable trying fixes like disabling java script, different browsers, or messing around with advanced settings. Thank you all in advance!

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 9, 2018 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 5:00 PM

Well, first time in 16 years I’ve received no response to this question. I’m a bit stunned that the discussions community appears to be a ghost town now.

For those like me who are absolutely against the barrage of autoplay videos and ads, I’ve spent hours combing the web and discussions as well as trying out a few things myself. The only thing that works currently is disabling “Javascript”.

Go to “Settings”, then to “Safari”, then to “Advanced”, then toggle “JavaScript” from green to off.

Be aware that many website features can be disabled, such as parts of this very discussion site. With JavaScript off, I was unable to load my discussions from within my own profile. When I tried to reply to a question, I only received a blank page. When I reenabled JavaScript, all that came back to life.

BUT, all videos thankfully disappear from all websites and you can scroll through text in peace. When I travel, I check in with the news a few times a day which can quickly max out my data plan with all the unwanted video playing. With JavaScript off, I can check in with the news and just read the stories I want and leave the site with a minimal hit to my data plan. When I get to a page with features I want, like replying to a discussion question at this website, I simply reenable JavaScript.

This can be a hassle but when away from WiFi it can really save you from data overages during simple web surfing. Apple gave the Mac OS community the ability to disable autoplay videos in Safari but not the iOS community even though it’s subjected to expensive data plans far more than standard computer users. Why is that? And why did community members last year tell me iOS 11 was going to receive this feature when it didn’t? Was it available to beta testers but then pulled once it was released to the public? What’s going on, Apple?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2018 5:00 PM in response to CyberFinch

Well, first time in 16 years I’ve received no response to this question. I’m a bit stunned that the discussions community appears to be a ghost town now.

For those like me who are absolutely against the barrage of autoplay videos and ads, I’ve spent hours combing the web and discussions as well as trying out a few things myself. The only thing that works currently is disabling “Javascript”.

Go to “Settings”, then to “Safari”, then to “Advanced”, then toggle “JavaScript” from green to off.

Be aware that many website features can be disabled, such as parts of this very discussion site. With JavaScript off, I was unable to load my discussions from within my own profile. When I tried to reply to a question, I only received a blank page. When I reenabled JavaScript, all that came back to life.

BUT, all videos thankfully disappear from all websites and you can scroll through text in peace. When I travel, I check in with the news a few times a day which can quickly max out my data plan with all the unwanted video playing. With JavaScript off, I can check in with the news and just read the stories I want and leave the site with a minimal hit to my data plan. When I get to a page with features I want, like replying to a discussion question at this website, I simply reenable JavaScript.

This can be a hassle but when away from WiFi it can really save you from data overages during simple web surfing. Apple gave the Mac OS community the ability to disable autoplay videos in Safari but not the iOS community even though it’s subjected to expensive data plans far more than standard computer users. Why is that? And why did community members last year tell me iOS 11 was going to receive this feature when it didn’t? Was it available to beta testers but then pulled once it was released to the public? What’s going on, Apple?

Disable autoplay video Safari iOS 11? Workarounds?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.