Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I do not have data on my phone plan. Will Apple Pay work without data?

I do not have data included with my phone plan. Does Apple Pay work without data?

iPhone 6, iOS 10.0.3

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2018 10:42 PM

Payment authentication is done over the internet, so a wifi connection is good enough for that purpose. It doesn't need to be done over a cellular connection, nor is it a requirement to have a cellular data plan (I have Apple Pay working just fine on an iPhone 6 plus without cellular service or even a SIM card in it). And the internet connection is only a requirement for setting up a new card on Apple Pay and for online purchases. For in-store purchases using Apple Pay, no connectivity is necessary at all because the payment info is stored on the phone itself (or the Apple Watch) and the authentication from the bank or card issuer is obtained by the merchant's POS terminal just like it is when using a regular card.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2018 10:42 PM in response to Richard Fernandez

Payment authentication is done over the internet, so a wifi connection is good enough for that purpose. It doesn't need to be done over a cellular connection, nor is it a requirement to have a cellular data plan (I have Apple Pay working just fine on an iPhone 6 plus without cellular service or even a SIM card in it). And the internet connection is only a requirement for setting up a new card on Apple Pay and for online purchases. For in-store purchases using Apple Pay, no connectivity is necessary at all because the payment info is stored on the phone itself (or the Apple Watch) and the authentication from the bank or card issuer is obtained by the merchant's POS terminal just like it is when using a regular card.

Aug 18, 2018 6:35 AM in response to freckles4fun

Yes. Apple Pay doesn't require a cellular data plan or even cellular connectivity (I have it set up even on an iPhone 6 Plus without any active cellular service or even a SIM card in it), all it needs is an internet connection. And only when you're setting up a new card or making an online purchase. So in either one of those cases, if you don't have a data plan you may still use wifi for an internet connection. Other than that, when you pay in stores no connectivity is necessary because the payment info is stored on the device itself (i.e., once you've set up Apple Pay you can use it in stores even with the phone on airplane mode).

Aug 28, 2018 10:31 AM in response to freckles4fun

Yeah that wouldn't be surprising. Apple Pay is not available everywhere, and even in the countries where it is already available it's not supported by all of the banks. It all depends on which country you live in and, if it is a supported country, on which bank issued your card. Some banks even restrict which type of cards they allow to be added to Apple Pay and which not. For instance, many banks do not allow corporate cards to be added to Apple Pay, and some other banks only allow credit cards to be added to Apple Pay. Just double check the list of countries on apple.com and, if necessary, check with your bank to make sure you didn't get the 'card not supported' notification by mistake.

I do not have data on my phone plan. Will Apple Pay work without data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.