Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Security Utility doesn't work on iMac Pro

I'm booted up the iMac Pro in Recovery mode using Command + R.

Under Utility, I launched Startup Security Utility and a window popped up. I clicked on "Enter macOS Password", and another window popped up.

That window reads: Recovery is try to change system settings. Enter your administration and password to allow this.

Under User is my full name.

For password, I type my user password, but the Startup Security Utility isn't accepting it. I only have one password for this iMP.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 11:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2018 1:29 PM

Reinstall High Sierra:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately at the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress indicator appear. Wait for the Utility Menu to appear.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2018 1:29 PM in response to Imagine

Reinstall High Sierra:

Reinstall El Capitan or Later Without Erasing Drive

Please be sure you back up.

1. Restart the computer. Immediately at the chime press and hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo and progress indicator appear. Wait for the Utility Menu to appear.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  3. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.
  4. Click on the First Aid icon in the toolbar. Wait until the Done button activates, then click on it.
  5. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Also, see this User Tip: Basic Steps for Upgrading OS X.

Aug 11, 2018 1:36 PM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain, I'm using the only admin account created. Also, I should mention that I got in touch with Apple support via chat, and they suggested that I create a Test User account and so I did. When I launched OS X in Recovery mode and brought up the Startup Security Utility window and clicked on the Test User account, I couldn't even change the password using that account. Thanks!

Aug 13, 2018 11:28 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy, reinstalling the macOS fixed the problem. Thanks! I'm trying to boot up from a USB-PCIe drive which is connected directly into one of the USB ports on the iMac Pro. I used Super-Duper to copy my main drive unto the PCIe drive, but when I click on the Option key while starting up the iMac Pro, the PCIe drive doesn't appearing on the screen as a bootable drive.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks again!

Startup Security Utility doesn't work on iMac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.