Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disappearing pictures

I had a problem with Safari a month ago. After trying all the usual remedies to correct it, I was left with doing an "Erase and Install". I backed up all of my files to DVD and completed the reinstall. I opened iPhoto(6.0.5) and re-imported all 1800 of my picture. Everything is fine with those photos. My problem is that when I add new pictures, they import fine. I rename them, edit them, print them, etc... When I quit iPhoto and reopen it. My new pictures are gone. It says that it put them in a recovered picture folder. When I look in that folder on the left hand side of the window there is nothing in there. However, if I go to the HD and open my pictures folder, then my iPhoto folder, there is a folder Recovered Picture. My new picture are in there. Does anyone have any idea why iPhoto is doing this? By the way I am running Mac OS 10.4.8 on one of those half ball iMacs.

Power Book G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8), iWork must have Database and Spreadsheet componet to be Appleworks replacement!

Posted on Feb 10, 2007 7:19 AM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2007 9:40 AM in response to Bernie Campbell1

Bernie:

You did the renaming in iPhoto, right? Is there a new roll that might have those files?

A first quick fix attempt would be to delete the iPhoto Library folder, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, from your User/Library/Preferences folder. Then move the Recovered folder to the desktop, rename the folder and import. Then check iPhoto for a new roll by that name. Check out iPhoto's performance as you'd do, close out and reopen. If good then you're home free.

If not, try rebuilding the library with iPhoto LIbrary Manager as follows:
Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library
  1. Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.
  2. Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your User/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.
  3. Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File->Rebuild Library menu option
  4. In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.
  5. Click on the Create button.

Note: It can take some time to create the new library if you have a lot of photos. One user reported that with a library of about 5,000 images it took about 12 hours so plan ahead.

This will create a new library folder leaving your current one untouched. If it works and the Recovered files are now included in the library import a couple of new photos and go thru your normal routine. Then close iPhoto and reopen. If all is well you can trash the old library folder.

If all is not well they you can delete the iPLM library folder and try this:

1 - make a temp copy of your library folder.
2 - copy the Recovered folder with your full sized image files to the desktop.
3 - in iPhoto delete the Recovered album and make sure there's no roll with that name. If so delete it.
4 - verify via the Finder that there are no Recovered folders in either the Originals or Data folder. If so delete them.
5 - launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys depressed and follow the instructions to rebuild the library. Select the first three options.
6 - rename the "Recovered" folder on the desktop and import.

See if these will now stay in the library and future imports will operate correctly. Sorry to be so long winded but thought I'd put all of my ideas in one post and let you go at it. Good luck.

Afterthought: before starting the above download and run BatChmod on the iPhoto Library folder with the settings shown here, putting your administartive name in the owner and group sections. You can either type in the path to the folder or just drag the folder into that field.
User uploaded file Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've written an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

disappearing pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.