Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iphone 6 Moisture Sensors Give A False Positive?

On doing some research, I discovered some very disheartening information if it's true.

Does anyone know what manufacturer provides the Liquid Submersion Indicators (LSI's) for iPhone 6?

My son has an iPhone 6. We are in Chiang Mai, Thailand and it gets extremely humid here.

Recently my son went to Bangkok and for two days the relative humidity was 95%.

I did some research and found that many people were complaining of void warranties in Singapore due to the LSI indicating that the iPhone was damaged by contact with water when in fact they swear it had never been anywhere near water. Singapore is very humid with both hot and rainy days and often relative humidity is 95%.

I later discovered from the article released about this, claimed that the material from a particular manufacturer of LSI material would turn slightly pink if exposed to a relative humidity of 95%. According to the article iPhone specs acceptable conditions are 5-95% but the conditions must be non condensing.

The major flaw with using this kind of sensor, and using it so close to the orifices of the iPhone 6 is that stepping from an air conditioned building out into the street is enough to cause condensation and trip the sensor, without it actually having being damaged at all, but it's enough for Apple to show you the door. The sensor may later dry out and the phone may be OK. But the warranty has been voided due to no fault of the customer.

But if some other part of the phone is the cause of the problem Apple or Carrier will reject the claim claiming moisture content in the iPhone triggered by the sensor. They won't even check for actual visual signs of water damage to the phone such as corrosion or shorts, according to some complaints I have read in some forums including this one. They just look at the sensors and say "not covered under warranty".

The sensor may be far to sensitive to be used in the tropics or any place where there is a large temperature / humidity range where condensation may occur. Theoretically then, a brand new phone just purchased and taken out of the shop may possibly have the moisture sensors tripped from day one, voiding the warranty, if walking from an air conditioned shop into the street if condensation occurs on the phone.

My son was in Bangkok for 4 days and he spent time both in and outside air conditioned places. The phone did not suffer from water contact by rain, getting it wet or dropping into water etc etc. Two days in succession the humidity was 95%.

To confuse matters, he used the phone normally and it died on him. He thought that the phone battery was flat. The phone wouldn't start after recharging.

So, now the question is. If it wasn't water damage then what caused the failure and if it was water damage, then why is Apple selling phones in a zone where this has a high risk of happening.

Have there been any issues with iPhone 6 batteries / screen failing after 6 months or after an upgrade to the iOS?

If the 95% relative humidity Singaporean story about the sensors is true then don't by an iPhone if you're in the tropics because you can't be certain the sensors will be tripped or not and you won't be covered if something goes wrong with your phone.

iPhone 6, iOS 11, Not sure of exact build

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 8:04 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 16, 2018 3:21 PM in response to colinfromwaikiki

I live in NC and in the summer we have weeks in a row with the temps in the 90’s-100’s and relative humidity at complete saturation, but have never had an issue with the water sensors.

The chemistry of those types of sensors requires contact with condensed, or liquid water. Humidity is a measure of water vapor in air - that is water in its gaseous phase, not its liquid phase. So no, the chemistry used on the sensor strips does not respond to water vapor, or humidity.

The environmental specs for iphones includes use in:

Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing

(Note the noncondensing part).

Can iphone 6 Moisture Sensors Give A False Positive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.