Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest account on mac is my admin

I have my mac only a month and I could install apps but now, my guest account is an admin and I cannot download nothing.

my mac 27 inch version is high sierra.

Posted on Aug 14, 2018 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply
6 replies

Aug 19, 2018 9:51 AM in response to Kfirberman

What I think is happening is that your account was demoted to a standard account - something which has been seen, unfortunately, quite a few times recently.

Unless you can offer some evidence to the contrary, that does not mean the guest account is now an administrator. It means there is none.

Now for how to solve this:

Follow the instructions, for example, in this site: ...

You are going to have to boot into single user mode, so you may want to print out the instructions beforehand.

To summarize it:

1) Start in Single User Mode by holding down Command-S at startup.

2) Type the following commands at the prompt:

/sbin/mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.applesetupdone

reboot

3) Your mac will restart normally, except that it will appear like it is starting for the first time - you will be asked to create a user account. This new account will automatically be an admin. Name it, say, "admin", choose a password, and do not choose to import anything.

4) Logged into this new admin account, go to System Preferences->Users & Groups and give yourself the administrative privileges again. Click the padlock, enter the admin password, select your usual account on the left and check this box:

User uploaded file

Aug 19, 2018 5:20 AM in response to Kfirberman

The guest account is not an admin.

Please clarify the situation:

-how many accounts are there currently on your mac? Just yours and the guest?

-it appears that your account has lost its admin privileges. Did you try changing the account name? This has been known to cause this problem

If the situation is what I think it is, all is not lost. There is a procedure to force the creation of a new admin account, after which this account can be used to restore the privileges of your account.

For the future: always have an extra admin account on your mac.

Guest account on mac is my admin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.