Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color calibration issue with new MacBook Pro 2018

Hello,

I have a really odd issue with color calibration of two new MacBook Pro 2018 with the same configuration:

- 15" display

- Radeon Pro 560X + Intel UHD Graphics 630

- macOS 10.13.6

I started to calibrate the first one with X-Rite i1Display and i1Profiler.

As soon as the profile is created and loaded, I get strange azure artifacts that replace the black colors displayed on my screen, both images and text.

It's so strange as if I take a screenshot and I post here, you'll see everything ok, so I had to make a video that you can check here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yvrS0ZdQRTWTfFHEIoFOnZFsAn9Bbl3e

The super strange thing is that the problem persists only if you close the calibration app. If you leave it open, everything is fine. (Of course, you're supposed to close it after creating the ICC profile).

Obviously I thought that the issue was related to X-Rite, but then I decided to calibrate the second MacBook Pro using Spyder 4 Elite, so another brand with another software and another calibration probe.

The result is the same, azure artifacts with the created profile (but this time even with the calibration app open).

Does anybody experience the same issue?

Any idea?

Is there a way to report officially to Apple if the issue is confirmed?

Thanks,

Francesco

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 15, 2018 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2018 3:50 AM

Hi Chiotas,

switching off automatic brightness didn't do the trick for me. Still same issue.

Switching off automatic graphic card switching in "energy" did help me.

A simple explanation for the effect of getting rid of the nasty effect having the calibration software "on" might be that the software auto selects the Radeon Pro instead of the UHD 630. Same behavior if I start Photoshop. Since Photoshop uses graphic card acceleration, it seems this switches from UHD to Radeon Pro as well - and the profile again works correctly. So either a problem with the internal UHD driver or the fact that the generated profile is not suited for the UHD graphic in general. Might be interesting if Apple takes notice?

All the Best

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2018 3:50 AM in response to Chiotas

Hi Chiotas,

switching off automatic brightness didn't do the trick for me. Still same issue.

Switching off automatic graphic card switching in "energy" did help me.

A simple explanation for the effect of getting rid of the nasty effect having the calibration software "on" might be that the software auto selects the Radeon Pro instead of the UHD 630. Same behavior if I start Photoshop. Since Photoshop uses graphic card acceleration, it seems this switches from UHD to Radeon Pro as well - and the profile again works correctly. So either a problem with the internal UHD driver or the fact that the generated profile is not suited for the UHD graphic in general. Might be interesting if Apple takes notice?

All the Best

Sep 18, 2018 5:38 PM in response to Chiotas

Did you receive any news on this?

I'm using ColorMunki photo... with IStudio as suggested by X-rite CS, although i tried with colormunki photo software as well...

I disabled everything and then calibrated the monitor. It seems to finish the process but the result calibration is very bad. The tones of the monitor are towards cyan and the blacks almost do not exist.

I've tried calibrating mi macbook pro 2018, but also a macbook pro 2014 that i updated to the High Sierra.

I've been calibrating the latter since i bought it with no problem, but since i updated to High Sierra calibration doesn't deliver good results.

Sep 19, 2018 7:05 AM in response to AlejandroFer

I do not feel there will be news; only an software patch soon to address the issue of Intel GPU reading the colorprofiles differently from the Radeon. I finally got the results I needed; but for using and calibrating the monitor, I have to switch off under Sys Pref: Display>True Tone and Energy>Automatic Graphic (Switching off) before running i1Studio application with the ColorMunki Photo.

If you calibrate the monitor without switching off the Automatic Graphic - once you quit i1Studio, the cyan and green highlights will replace the blacks.

After calibrating, I switch on "Automatic Graphic" that turns everything to dark and saturated for normal everyday use (mails and browsing). But when I need to use LR and Photoshop I turn Automatic Graphic off and voila! the monitor turns again to show proper colors.

Once again - expect Apple to address the misreading of the color profile by Intel's GPU.

Important note - use i1Studio application with the ColorMunki Photo. Go for custom settings while performing the LCD calibration. I used 80cd/m to get less blacks in my calibration.

Sep 19, 2018 7:12 AM in response to AlejandroFer

Hello guys,

yes apparently the thing was tested and the issue almost confirmed.

The engineer that replied to me told me to install the latest Beta of Mojave.

So a bad news and a good one:

- The good is that they find the issue and fixed

- The bad is that apparently there will no be a fix for High Sierra

I'm not going to install a beta OS as I'm using this laptop for professional use, but at least the release of Mojave should be really close

Best,

Sep 19, 2018 11:21 AM in response to j.a.i

Hey! Thanks for your response! Just to be clear, is not about changing the pure black to cyan only.

Also when comparing the calibration of the whole screen vs a screen properly calibrated there is a cyan tint all over the monitor, like if you moved the color balance a little bit. It also lacks contrast vs a proper calibration.

Basically does a poor job at calibrating the monitor.

And last point, since I uploaded to High Sierra my macbook pro 2014 it also happens there.

So to sum up, i have both a macbook pro 2018 and a macbook pro 2014. I've calibrated the 2014 for 3 years using ColorMunki photo device, achieving great results.

I "upgraded" to High Sierra, and i had problems calibrating both the 2018 and the 2014.

I had 2 problems:

1- Some dots of the screen turned cyan (mostly pure black dots)

2- The whole image lacks contrast and has a cyan tint compared to a well calibrated monitor

I've solved issue 1 by unchecking auto-brightness and that "true color thing" but still the calibration is very bad.

Any solutions for this?

Color calibration issue with new MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.