Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITUNES UNKNOWN ALBUM/ARTIST ERROR

Hi,

I haven't seen an up-to-date answer on this and was wondering if this bug has been fixed.

I am a DJ and use iTunes alot.

Last year I imported a lot of music onto my Mac and about 750 songs got moved to 'Unknown Artist/Album' on iTunes.

After an ENTIRE 2 DAYS of renaming and organising the endless 'Track 1' etc files, and generally fixing this problem manually within iTunes, I was happy. Very exhausted. But happy. Because it takes a lot of research and literally going on the sound of a song to match it within an album, so you can imagine - it sounds like a horrible paid job.

Now I have a new Mac. I transferred my iTunes folder manually to new computer and the same problem has occurred - ALBUMS I SPENT PAINSTAKING HOURS RENAMING ARE BACK IN THE SAME 'UNKNOWN FOLDER'.

There must be an easy solution to this, it's stressing me out. I can't go through this procedure again, knowing too that as soon as I switch computers I'll have the same problem, with even more songs added to my library.

Please someone help!

Posted on Aug 16, 2018 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2018 6:48 AM

Are your songs in .wav format? These files lack a tag, and if imported to a new library iTunes will pick the filename as a track title but otherwise see blank metadata, which it treats as unknown artist and unknown album for the artist and album fields. If you clone the entire iTunes folder from one computer to the other then you should see exactly the same library. If you only copy the media folder, then import it, you are more likely to have issues. Both AIFF and Apple Lossless (smaller) can hold tags so these are better containers for lossless media than .wav.

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer for more.

tt2

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2018 6:48 AM in response to rickytangalang

Are your songs in .wav format? These files lack a tag, and if imported to a new library iTunes will pick the filename as a track title but otherwise see blank metadata, which it treats as unknown artist and unknown album for the artist and album fields. If you clone the entire iTunes folder from one computer to the other then you should see exactly the same library. If you only copy the media folder, then import it, you are more likely to have issues. Both AIFF and Apple Lossless (smaller) can hold tags so these are better containers for lossless media than .wav.

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer for more.

tt2

Aug 20, 2018 1:45 PM in response to rickytangalang

rickytangalang wrote:

can iTunes automatically search for tags once converted to aiff?

No. See Move your iTunes library to a new computer if you still have the library working on the older computer. Or you could convert to AIFF or Apple Lossless there and then transfer the new copies. If those options aren't available then you're going to have to repair the damage by hand again.

tt2

Aug 16, 2018 6:45 AM in response to rickytangalang

Ricky,

Are these files still in WAV format? You can't write metadata tags onto WAV files, so they'll always be vulnerable to this kind of problem.

When you moved your iTunes library, did you drag the entire iTunes folder — including all subfolders and files, notably the crucial database file, iTunes Library.itl — from the old computer to the new one?

Edit: Ooops! Sorry, didn't see tt2's reply.

ITUNES UNKNOWN ALBUM/ARTIST ERROR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.