Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

could not activate mobile data network

Have iphone7 and just returned from overseas. When overseas used another sim card. Returned home inserted my Australian Sim and can not access internet. When try to access internet message "could not activate mobile data network" . Have tried resetting network settings , hard power down etc but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions??

iPhone 7, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 17, 2018 4:47 AM

12 replies

Sep 12, 2018 4:50 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi Giulio,

Thanks for your suggestion. I have a similar problem, coming from Croatia back to France, and the data does not work. Tried just about everything, including hours on the phone and at the agency of the French carrier, who is now sending me to Apple to check what the issue is. The French carrier supposedly does not have any way to send me the APN config, to erase/replace the one I have stored from the Croatian carrier. Do you have any suggestion of what else could be done?

Thanks in advance,

Tamara

Sep 12, 2018 5:33 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hello Giulio,

Thank you for your reply.
I did mention to them over the past week on several occasions that they should send me an SMS with these settings, but they were convincing me this cannot be done because the configuration is set up automatically.
But after 4h of Twitter DMing, they did actually send me an SMS with the config link... It is really mysterious why this is kept so secret. I am now restoring and will try the config link, I hope it works.
Thank you once again for your help!
Tamara

Sep 12, 2018 5:43 AM in response to Toby05

Have you tried:

- Settings > Cellular (or Mobile) > Cellular Data Options (toggle LTE off and on)

- Settings > Cellular (toggle off and wait 30 seconds or so, toggle back on)

- Settings > General > About (if your carrier has updated their settings it will prompt you to install new ones)

- did you use a VPN while traveling? If so, try again with it toggled off.

- do you have any Profiles installed (from a VPN, service provider, employers and universities sometimes use them to connect to their networks, Apple Beta program, etc.). They are under Settings > General (near the bottom). There is NO OPTION to toggle these off. If you remove them you need to reinstall them so be sure you can do that if they are necessary.

- and lastly, is your SIM car seated well (does it show the carrier name at all in the status bar or in Settings > General > About on the Network line?

If these don't work you may need to contact your carrier and ask what's up. Good luck!

Sep 21, 2018 6:38 AM in response to Toby05

Can someone please share the link for the Telstra APN config. Our enterprise support at Telstra has been trying to help me all week since I returned from overseas and still haven’t fixed my data subscription error. I’ve done the factory reset and that fixed the problem but when I restored from backup thereafter my iPhone could not activate the data network again. Telstra said it’s a recent known issue and their tech support won’t help until you have tried ever one of their trouble shooting processes before they hand you over to their third tier support team.

could not activate mobile data network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.