Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long should Step 7 Take?

In creating a bootable disk, I have reached Step 7 ( in How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support)

In Terminal, it still says Copying installer files to disk.

This process has taken quite a while but I am waiting for Terminal to Read "Done".

My flash drive already reads "Install macos High Sierra" but I don't want to interrupt the process..User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Aug 17, 2018 12:22 PM

1 reply

Aug 22, 2018 5:15 PM in response to nesloylime

It depends on the speed of the target device, the speed of the bus, the speed of the Mac and its storage, and related and sundry details.

I've seen these creations go pretty fast with a Thunderbolt-connected SSD, and pretty slow with an old USB on a low-RPM hard disk.

This sequence is copying a couple of gigabytes of data.

Entering a control-T (^T) might produce some status information here.

Worst case is starting over with a new creation, so not a huge loss.

The storage device showing on the desktop with the "install macOS High Sierra" label is due to the device erasure and initialization that was completed as the first part of the creation operation (and the related erasure-percentage display that was shown during that processing), what's happening now is the population of the contents of the installer device.

How long should Step 7 Take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.