Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX 10.5.8 utilities??

Hi, I am using a PowerBook Pro G4 with OSX 10.5.8.

I cannot take the software any higher. I need to clean the machine and get rid of junk. I had Norton Utilities at one time but now I cannot seem to get a utility that will run on the operating system. Can anyone help?

AD.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), I am NOT clever with techy stuff

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 3:09 PM

From the Finder window>Home/User you can view by list, this makes it easy to see all the folders and the size.

If size is not in the columns—you can customize by holding the control key and clicking in the column area (see the red X) to open the contextual menu and add size. Now you have starting place.

Typically the big ones are videos, photos, music etc

Don't forget to empty the trashcan to regain hard drive space.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2018 3:09 PM in response to Technodunce

From the Finder window>Home/User you can view by list, this makes it easy to see all the folders and the size.

If size is not in the columns—you can customize by holding the control key and clicking in the column area (see the red X) to open the contextual menu and add size. Now you have starting place.

Typically the big ones are videos, photos, music etc

Don't forget to empty the trashcan to regain hard drive space.

User uploaded file

Aug 18, 2018 2:51 PM in response to Technodunce

Technodunce wrote:

On opening I get a dialogue telling me to clean junk. I'm presuming it to free up memory!!??

A screen shot would be interesting to see. Hopefully not adware/or malware trying to get you to download something or sell you something.

If anything the dialog would be to clean up storage space (hard drive) not memory which is RAM.

You can see your disk details about available storage space— you can select your Macintosh HD either on the Desktop or the Finder sidebar—and command i opens the information pane about capacity and availability.

OSX 10.5.8 utilities??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.