You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't control volume for external monitor - "USB Type C Monitor "The selected device has no output controls"

I am using MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports with LG 27UK850-W monitor. This monitor has built-in speakers and it works fine with USB Type-C cable but unfortunately it is not possible to control volume from System Preferences / Sound or keyboard shortcuts.

I've checked and saw some similar posts but couldn't find a solution. Is it impossible to enable these controls for external speaker?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 18, 2018 12:31 PM

15 replies

Aug 18, 2018 1:42 PM in response to btutal

that appears to be controlled by a joystick on the main on-off button on the bottom of the display. They also suggest you use

System preferences > sound

... to set the display as the main sound output device

They also have some software that talks to settings in the display.

LG 27UK850-W Support: Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.S.A

I strongly suggest you acquire a Thunderbolt-3/USB-C to DisplayPort cable for optimum operation. USB-C to a display is a compromise.

Feb 14, 2019 10:27 PM in response to btutal

If you follow below:

settings - sounds - show volume menu bar

volume menu bar - change output to internal

Then i hear the sound from my MBP and not from my monitor's internal boxes.

I have solved it now but using a SoundControl application (https://staticz.com/soundcontrol/).

This works very well! For me this problem has been solved :)

Aug 19, 2018 11:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for reply. Yes, it is possible to control volume via joystick but it is not as comfortable as handling via keyboard.

There are some softwares from LG but none of them solves this problem. They are for different purposes.

I just didn't understand why do I need Thunderbolt-3/USB-C to DisplayPort cable, what is the additional benefit? Currently I only need one cable for power, display, audio and USB-A connections via this monitor.

Oct 1, 2018 11:49 AM in response to btutal

Does your monitor have bluetooth capability? If so, connect to that and the buttons should work.

1. Turn monitor volume all the way up.

2. Connect to monitor via Bluetooth

3. Use keyboard volume controls to turn down volume*

*Note: It changes the volume coming from the Mac, but the volume will always be at max on the monitor. This probably doesn't make sense, but you'll see what I'm talking about.

Feb 2, 2019 6:10 AM in response to vinnneh

Hello Vinnneh,

I have a Macbook Pro 2017 with a LG34UC99-W with a certified USB-C cable. If I make the settings as you indicate, I have the problem that the sound (after switching to internal) goes through the internal boxes of the Macbook Pro and not through the speaker of the LG34UC99-W. What am I doing wrong? Or what should I adjust?

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Can't control volume for external monitor - "USB Type C Monitor "The selected device has no output controls"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.