Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a pvot for numbers?

is there a pvot for numbers people?

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2018 12:36 AM

As mentioned on the youtube page, I created this just as a demo. However, you can download the script, open your numbers document and run the script like in the video. I cannot make any promises that this will work with your table (structure may be different). This is more meant as a demonstration of scripting (macro) technology on Numbers. I am unfortunately unable to help with customisation - proceed only if you wish to explore a bit further into the wonderful world of AppleScript!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2018 12:36 AM in response to Athanti

As mentioned on the youtube page, I created this just as a demo. However, you can download the script, open your numbers document and run the script like in the video. I cannot make any promises that this will work with your table (structure may be different). This is more meant as a demonstration of scripting (macro) technology on Numbers. I am unfortunately unable to help with customisation - proceed only if you wish to explore a bit further into the wonderful world of AppleScript!

Sep 16, 2018 2:40 AM in response to Ikeejaja

pivot tables can be a combination of functions already available in Excel or Numbers there are many examples online (macmostgary) comes to mind a lot. I recently wrote an AppleScript to demonstrate how this can be run like an excel macro, but for numbers: http://tinyurl.com/numberspivottables

this is just a demo of course, but i have made the AppleScript available for download for anyone to modify to suit your purpose.

Sep 16, 2018 2:40 AM in response to Ikeejaja

Hi lkeejaja,

What version of Numbers and what version of your operating system?

If you are using Numbers '09 (Numbers 2.3) you can use the Categories feature to mimic Pivot Tables.

The Categories feature does not exist in any version of Numbers from version 3.0 to the latest version (Numbers 5.1).

You can use the functions SUMIF, SUMIFS, COUNTIF, COUNTIFS, AVERAGEIF, AVERAGEIFS to create summaries of data. Those summaries produce results that can be used in other formulas and graphs (charts) - and that is a big improvement over Pivot Tables!

The charm of Numbers is the ability to use several tables, each with a purpose. For example, a large database (not designed for printing) from which you can "pull" subsets of data into other, small tables on one or more separate "Presentation" Sheets (for printing).

What is your overall aim?

Regards,

Ian.

Sep 16, 2018 1:23 AM in response to Athanti

"How can I use it on my table"

With NO information regarding 'your table' beyond the implied 'it's a Numbers table,' that seems a very difficult question to answer.

Information, please:

What version of macOS/OS X is installed on your Mac (Apple menu > About this Mac)

What version of Numbers holds "my table"? (Numbers menu > About Numbers)

As to the script:

The script performa a SUMIF on each of the items in the column chosen to summarize, using values in the column chosen to sum.

To use it, you must open the script in the script editor, launch Numbers, and open the spreadsheet containing the table containing the data that is to be summed, then display the sheet containing the Table containing the data to be summed.

When you have done this, return to the script editor and click Play (or Run).

The script then locates the first table on the front sheet of the Numbers document, then builds a list of the labels in the Header row of that table* and presents the list in a dialogue window, requesting you "Which column do you want to summarize?"

*IF the table does not have a Header Row, or if it has more than one Header Row, the script presents a 'must have one header row', and quits.

You choose the column containing the names of the fruits.

The script then constructs a list of the remaining columns in the table presents a second dialogue asking "Where are the values you want to summarize?"

You choose one of the columns containing numbers.

The script then builds a second list of all the distinct fruit names in the column to be summarized (The script erroneously calls these "unique" items), and sums the numbers in the rows of the second column chosen matching each of the names in the list of distinct values in the Fruits column.

On completing the sumifs, the script then creats the summary table containing the names and results.

You can then re-run the script, choosing the same column to be summarized, and a different column of values to apply SUMIF to, and construct aother table with that information.

Regards,

Barry

Is there a pvot for numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.