Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Original ipod touch restore failing error (400)

Hello,

I have an original ipod touch, which has some sentimental value for my son. He is 10 and forgot his passcode so we have to restore it.

iTunes recognizes the device. I click 'restore and update' then agree to Software Update notice and terms.
Then the update fails saying "There was a problem downloading the software for the iPod "iPod". An unknown error occurred (400). "

User uploaded file

I have tried multiple computers and restored other iPods okay. Eventually after many hours with Apple support I looked into network traffic from my PC and discovered the error is because the download is failing, its a server error message. The response from the apple server was HTTP 400 Bad Request

The URL that fails to download for the original ipod touch is

h t t p : / / pfd.apple.com/ProtectedAsset/iPod/061-5862.2009127.f2dke/iPod1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Res tore.ipsw?downloadKey=<key changes each time>

Returning error HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request

When restoring another iPod which is slightly newer the URL is

h t t p : / / appldnld.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/041-1920.20111004.CpeEw/iPod_1.2_36B10 147.ipsw.signature

Returning success HTTP/1.1 200 OK

An iPod that's literally year or so younger still works just fine here is the equivalent request has 200 OK

So I think this is a problem that the restore file required for the original iPod touch device is no longer downloadable. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

iPod touch

Posted on Aug 19, 2018 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2018 8:11 PM

I have the same problem, and the iPod is not defective or broken. I've read all the support documentation (knowing it would be a waste of time). It's obviously a problem on Apple's side where they have improperly deployed the iPod Touch iOS 3.1.3 firmware image. They'll probably never see this thread though. Will do my best to get the message out there...

@tadpole88, my only suggestion at the moment is to try to find the iPod Touch .ipsw image from a 3rd party site, which is what I'm now about to go do :'D You can then restore the image manually by holding Option key when you click Restore iPod, and this will let you manually select the .ipsw on your local drive.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2018 8:11 PM in response to tadpole88

I have the same problem, and the iPod is not defective or broken. I've read all the support documentation (knowing it would be a waste of time). It's obviously a problem on Apple's side where they have improperly deployed the iPod Touch iOS 3.1.3 firmware image. They'll probably never see this thread though. Will do my best to get the message out there...

@tadpole88, my only suggestion at the moment is to try to find the iPod Touch .ipsw image from a 3rd party site, which is what I'm now about to go do :'D You can then restore the image manually by holding Option key when you click Restore iPod, and this will let you manually select the .ipsw on your local drive.

Aug 19, 2018 5:51 PM in response to tadpole88

I read your post. This is the only advice available. If recovery mode does not work and you can update other devices with no issue on your computer, then the iPod is broken. You asked for suggestions and I gave you suggestions. If you would have stated that you have already gone to all of those links and tried everything there then you would have saved us both time.

Did you clear your history and website data? Did you clear your cache?

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-a-400-bad-request-error-2617988

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770

Aug 19, 2018 5:34 PM in response to askbarnabas

While I do appreciate your reply can I assume you did not read my post.

I have tried all you mentioned and even explain in detail what I perceive as the problem.

The URL ((h t t p : / / pfd.apple.com/ProtectedAsset/iPod/061-5862.2009127.f2dke/iPod1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Res tore.ipsw?downloadKey=<key changes each time>))) that is given during the restore process in iTunes appears to be an invalid non working URL so it fails everytime.

Other devices will update and restore fine from the same iTunes setup it is just this particular device and link that does not work.

Original ipod touch restore failing error (400)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.