Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CoreMidi Initialization Error - No MIDI services Available

Picked up the heading from an older thread I wasn't allowed to reopen.

I'm getting this error since upgrading to the very latest MacBook Pro 13" on the latest Logic and OS X.

Like others have highlighted this is a bad flaw and I didn't shell out this much cash only not to be able to do something I could do on my Mimd 2012 MBP. i.e. Connect any midi devices and have my system and Logic automatically detect them and have them immediately available for use.

Can somebody please explain why this is an issue for many users and what we can do to get around this? If it could just be fixed then obviously that's the best case scenario for people like me. I feel like I have downgraded rather than just purchased a whole load of modern gear.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Logic Pro X, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 2:02 PM

Hi both.

Thanks very much for your advice!

In the end, after going through it on a screenshare with a really helpful guy from Apple, the thing that made it work as it should again was in choosing 'Reset all preferences except key commands'. We did all sorts of things before solving it this way. There is a screenshot attached in case it can help anybody else. 🙂

User uploaded file

Best

Richard.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2018 2:02 PM in response to RicarditoCam

Hi both.

Thanks very much for your advice!

In the end, after going through it on a screenshare with a really helpful guy from Apple, the thing that made it work as it should again was in choosing 'Reset all preferences except key commands'. We did all sorts of things before solving it this way. There is a screenshot attached in case it can help anybody else. 🙂

User uploaded file

Best

Richard.

Aug 21, 2018 3:09 AM in response to RicarditoCam

Did you by any chance use Migration Assistant to import some settings/apps from the 2012 MBP? If so the problem may be caused by incompatible MIDI drivers that were copied over. Check both the Root and User Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers folders to see what's there.

There is a workaround which may help, either turn off or unplug all MIDI interfaces, boot Logic, give it a chance to settle then power on or plug-in your MIDI interface(s).

Delete user preferences

Before deleting user preferences, note any specific preference settings that you’ve made, and save any custom key commands you've created. Deleting preferences removes any custom preference settings and custom key commands.

To delete the user preferences, do the following:

1. Quit Logic Pro X.
  2. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
  3. Enter ~/Library/Preferences, then click Go.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.logic10.plist" file from the Preferences folder.
  5. If you upgraded from an earlier version of Logic Pro, also remove the "com.apple.logic.pro" file.
  6. Restart your Mac.
  7. While you are in the same location also delete the control surface "com.apple.logic.pro.cs" preferences.

Note) you will loose Custom Key commands by so export them first. Also, it may be easier to move the files rather than delete them, that way if the Preferences fix doesn't help you can go back to your old preferences.

Both will be rebuilt need time Logic is started. p.s. If you don't feel comfortable deleting, simply move them.

Also, a few Logic preference settings we need to be reset.

Aug 21, 2018 4:15 AM in response to Radarhus

Hi JotaGi.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m not at the machine right now and am far from a techy person but I have the very latest MBP 13” with touchscreen from 2/3 weeks ago, upgraded chip to i7 and doubled the standard RAM.

My setup is this plus an Apogee quarter. A Nord stage 2 sometimes insultingly used for Midi, a little Akai MPD Pad thingy and Logic Pro X. OSX is on latest version too.

I receive the erro when I load Logic Pro X, irritating me from the off haha! I’m also using Apple’s own adapters from USB C/Thunderbolt to USB for Midi and am normally using the Akai straight in via this and the Nord for midi via the Quartet’s own midi port.

Thanks in advance if you can advise on how never to see this error again! :-)

Best

Richard.

Aug 21, 2018 11:06 AM in response to Pancenter

Hi @Pancenter

Thanks very much to you too for your reply.

I'm just in the door now and will endeavour to check this out. I'm also on a scheduled call with Apple just beginning now about it so if the results are any different or the method to fixing this I'll also post back here in case it is useful to you guys or anyone else running in to the same problem. :-)

Cheers!

Richard.

CoreMidi Initialization Error - No MIDI services Available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.