Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook pro (2018) feels slow

Hello people

I Bought the new Macbook pro 2018 (Intel i7, 500GB) and it feels slow since the moment I started to use it.

Windows opening/closing, resizing and minimizing isn't smooth, boot feels too long and also app installation.

3 weeks ago I used my friend's Macbook (2015) and it felt faster and much more smoother.

I feel something is wrong.

How can I check if my mac it working properly?

Thanks

Maor

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2018 1:26 PM

I too just purchased the same MacBook Pro 15" 2018 MR942LL/A (2.6 GHz Space Gray) with 560x. I feel that it is very sluggish compared to my late 2013 MBP. It seems to be an issue with the Iris 630 GFX. When I manually switch to the 560x by turning off "Automatic Graphics Switching" in Energy Settings, the laptop seems and feels more responsive.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2018 1:26 PM in response to mzaken

I too just purchased the same MacBook Pro 15" 2018 MR942LL/A (2.6 GHz Space Gray) with 560x. I feel that it is very sluggish compared to my late 2013 MBP. It seems to be an issue with the Iris 630 GFX. When I manually switch to the 560x by turning off "Automatic Graphics Switching" in Energy Settings, the laptop seems and feels more responsive.

Sep 6, 2018 4:27 PM in response to mzaken

mzaken wrote:

Yea I tried it too, it feels less sluggish but still sluggish and not smooth.

Try to open Youtube on chrome and resize the window it doesn't work properly.

Does this issue occurs on other 2018 Macbook Pros models? Any confirmation from Apple to the issue?

"Feels sluggish" is subjective and hard to troubleshoot. If there was something systemically wrong with your model computer these communities would be overrun with posts about the issue. Your question to Apple won't be answered here. This is a user to user help community. You could run etrecheckand post the report here so that we may see if anything may be contributing to the "sluggish performance" you are "feeling".

Sep 6, 2018 5:26 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

there is an issue confirmed by the lab i took my mac to (an apple reseller lab) and they replaced my mac to a new one.

now i'm seeing the same issue on this new mac. I am in contact with apple about this issue to see what we can do about it.

The speed of the mac is just fine, the problem I am seeing is a graphic issue

I've upload a video to try to describe the issue - Untitled - YouTube

how does this work on your mac?

this is the worse case I've seen, I see this issue with other apps like Xcode tabs closing and opening.

Its not smooth, in the previous 2015 model I used 1 month ago there was no issue like that.

Sep 7, 2018 10:47 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

When I say "Sluggish" I mean that all apps and the operating systems do not display the smoothness I am used to. When scrolling in apps, it seems to jitter along instead of displaying a smooth scroll. It is especially noticeable when pictures come into view when scrolling. Every time a new picture comes into view, its like the OS stalls/jitters, loads the pic, jitters, then moves onto the new pic. This is noticeable in apps like Safari, Tweetbot, Evernote, Messages, etc. Even the dock jitters when running the mouse from left to right. It comes and goes but is very annoying. It's almost like it is a display/refresh issue. My iPad Pro seems to run better than my new 2018 MBP... I though it went away when turning off the "Automatic Graphics Switching" to enable the 560x, but it is still there just not as noticeable as when on the Iris 630.

Sep 23, 2018 4:32 AM in response to joshuahardee

I have the 2018 15” i9 and mine is doing the same thing. Some days it feels super slick and then other days it takes about 2 full seconds to open a window or a preview. And trying to use something like Lightroom, selecting a photo takes about 5 seconds to load. I try resetting and everything and is the same. Just comes and goes. This laptop cost me £4000 and it seems slower than my 2012 rMBP? ***

New Macbook pro (2018) feels slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.