Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

Recently I have been getting the following error message when trying to burn or copy CD's:

The drive reported an error:
Sense Key = Medium Error
Sense Code + 0x73, 0x03

I first saw this error when I was trying to burn some CD's with MP3 files on my hard drive (not iTunes). I usually make 2 copies, but the Superdrive only burned the first one. When I inserted the second blank CD, the error message appeared. I have been using TDK disks forever without a problem and went through almost 75% of the current spool before this. I tried it several times and in each instance, only the first copy was burned.

This is using Toast 7 Titanium and I even upgraded to Toast 8 and the same thing happens. I haven't even tried DVD's yet.

I have never experienced these errors before and I'm beginning to wonder if the Superdrive is going out.

2.0 GHz iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 2 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 10, 2007 7:35 PM

2 replies

Feb 15, 2007 9:57 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Thanks for replying. I went to the store and bought CD's and DVD's of different brands, many of which I have used in the past. All but a couple of them worked. Maxell, Memorex, Verbatim and Sony did not work.

After several long discussions with AppleCare and some tests, they finally determined that the Superdrive needs to be replaced. So, I'm off to the Apple Store.

Thanks again!

Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.