Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching from Windows back to MAC

I have MAC and Windows installed on my laptop. While using my Apple laptop on the MAC operating system, I decided to open system preferences and switch to Bootcamp which takes me to the Windows operating system. Now I cannot find the icon on the Windows system to click on to get back to MAC. How do I get back to the MAC operating system.

MacBook, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Aug 20, 2018 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2018 4:52 AM

If you own Intel-based Macs, then you can easily run macOS and Windows on a single computer machine. In fact, it’s been possible to run Windows on a Mac for some time — with some limitations. Near-extinct Mac models were loaded with Virtual PC emulation software could do Windows, too, but the program was painfully slow. Even if you find an old copy of the software, it won’t work with any current Mac operating system.

Switching between Mac and Windows Operating System:-

You can go back and forth between macOS and Windows on your Mac, but you can’t run both OS simultaneously under Boot Camp. Instead, you have to boot one operating system or the other — thus, the name Boot Camp.

Restart your Mac, and hold down the Option key until icons for each operating system appear onscreen. Highlight Windows or Macintosh HD, and click the arrow to launch the operating system of choice for this session.

If you want OS X or Windows to boot every time, choose app → System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and choose the OS you want to launch by default.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2018 4:52 AM in response to BlueHornet4

If you own Intel-based Macs, then you can easily run macOS and Windows on a single computer machine. In fact, it’s been possible to run Windows on a Mac for some time — with some limitations. Near-extinct Mac models were loaded with Virtual PC emulation software could do Windows, too, but the program was painfully slow. Even if you find an old copy of the software, it won’t work with any current Mac operating system.

Switching between Mac and Windows Operating System:-

You can go back and forth between macOS and Windows on your Mac, but you can’t run both OS simultaneously under Boot Camp. Instead, you have to boot one operating system or the other — thus, the name Boot Camp.

Restart your Mac, and hold down the Option key until icons for each operating system appear onscreen. Highlight Windows or Macintosh HD, and click the arrow to launch the operating system of choice for this session.

If you want OS X or Windows to boot every time, choose app → System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and choose the OS you want to launch by default.

Switching from Windows back to MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.