Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frequent Wired Internet Disconnects (Not wifi)

Greetings,

Hard wired (Ethernet) Internet connection goes offline about every 10 minutes.

Using:

Mac Pro (the Late 2013)

System Sierra 10.12.6

Firefox 62.0b18 (64-bit)

Static IP and specific DNS settings, mostly

Ethernet (not wireless)

Pace Uverse 5031NV-030 with wifi always OFF.

Downstream ASUS router for Apple TV and other IOT things.

Frequent Internet disconnects:

--Mac Pro only, other stuff on network is normal, nearby windoze PC is normal.

--Internet connection drops random about 6-10 times per hour

--Apple Network Diagnostics Control Panel (found on System Sierra and below)

- - Ethernet Green

- - Network Settings Green

- - ISP, Internet, and Server becomes either yellow or red, and the Mac won't ping out.

-- Connection will not return until I do something.

The Late 2013 Mac Pro:

Static IP is primary, although trying DHCP will not necessarly solve the problem.

Lan cables are tested and ok.

Nearby (Ethernet) windoze box is always up. (Same Pace Uverse 5031NV-030)

What it takes to regain IP:

--Reboot or Physically disconnect ethernet from Mac, wait 10 minutes, reconnect, status returns to normal.

or

-- Network settings, manual.

Switch off (unplug) Ethernet

Change 4th octet AND DNS to something else

Apply

then switch ON/plug in Ethernet

I have to do this about 3-4 times trying various DNS's and static IPs. IP never comes back on the first try.

Network Radar tells me that my static IP choices are unique and not in collision with something else.

Sometimes I change it to DHCP but results are usually fail, or it works for a short time.

Sometimes I try wireless to a downstream Asus switch, results are mixed.

Changing the Cat port on the Mac made no difference.

DNS Changing:

I've tried over 15 DNS's, including the AT&T DNSs and none are any better than each other, It's the changing of the DNS several times, that usually brings the Mac to all green for a while.

The always-up windoze box uses 68.94.156.1 or 208.67.220.220. Making these DNSs primary on the Mac often fails to solve the frequent internet failures. I have a long list of well-known DNS's that I've tried, none better than the other.

Other Efforts:

Creating and changing network "locations" with different manual IP settings and DNS settings for each, made no difference.

Rebooting the Pace Uverse 5031NV-030 will bring status back for a while, but its no better than changing the Network DNS settings. Pace/Uverse diagnostics are all good.

Running all the Onyx cleaning functions, especially the Onyx internet tab, made no difference. SMC and Pram reset bootups made no difference. Running Yasu daily, is good practice, but it made no difference.

In the end, I get about 10 minutes of internet followed by 5 minutes of DNS and 4th octet changes needed to restore IP. 10-20 minutes later, I have to repeat the process to get back online.

Various Internet searches reveal problems and solutions for wifi - this problem is with wired-ethernet.

Any advice will be most appreciated.

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Aug 22, 2018 9:53 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Aug 23, 2018 10:36 AM in response to Adonsa

Ok, here are some observations/recommendations based on the report:

1. Your system drive free drive space is too low. 10.71 GB free out of 251 GB. You should consider optimizing this to increase the available free space for better overall performance.
  2. Under the Configuration Files section, noticed that the count is 15. This typically indicates either a corrupted or compromised hosts file. This may also be a culprit for the issue your Mac is having.

How to edit your Mac's Hosts file, and why you would want to - iMore

3. Completely remove CleanMyMac. Your Mac does not need any type of cleaner apps and we get numerous posts here with folks having issues using them.
  4. I suggest that you perform all of the clean-up actions recommended under the Clean up section.

Finally, your Mac is certainly loaded up with kernel extensions, Internet plug-ins, etc. This is common when we use our Mac over time. One suggestion, is to back up your Mac, including making a bootable clone copy of the current system drive, and then, performing a "clean" install of macOS. You can then add back one-by-one your critical apps ... and since you have a clone, you can always boot up with it if you need to get back to your existing system when required.

Aug 23, 2018 9:53 AM in response to Adonsa

Let's try a bit of a different approach.

To help troubleshoot your Mac, I would suggest that you consider using EtreCheck and posting the resultant report for us to review. (Note: The EtreCheck report does NOT contain any personal information.)

• You can download EtreCheck fromhere.
  • Start EtreCheck from a normal user account. Optionally, you can run it from a user account with Administrator privileges.
  • Select a problem from the drop-down menu to enable the "Start EtreCheck" button. Optionally, you can add comments on what issues your Mac is experiencing, especially to aide others with similar Mac issues.
  • Click on Start EtreCheck
  • Allow the program to run to completion.
  • When done, select Report from the left-side window to display it.
  • Select the "Share Report" icon.

Select Copy Report

• Paste the report to your reply post.

Ref: Using EtreCheck - ASC (etresoft)

Aug 22, 2018 10:55 AM in response to Adonsa

Let's start with the settings on the Hardware tab for System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced.

By default, they would be:

• Configure: Automatically
  • Speed: 1000baseT
  • Duplex: full-duplex
  • MTU: Standard (1500)
  • AVB/EAV Mode: disabled

Do these match yours? If so, have you tried going with manual settings for, at least, Speed & Duplex? Do you have another known-good Ethernet drop cable to try between your Mac and the Pace router? Have you tried other Ethernet ports on the Pace to connect the Mac to?

Aug 22, 2018 10:47 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

Thanks for replying.

Mac Pro and nearby Windoze box are connected straight into the Pace/Uverse 5031NV-030. The Asus router is in another room taking care of iphone and things that have to be wireless. Everything wired, including the windoze box, IP cameras, AppleTV, remain up and online when the Mac Pro disconnects.

Aug 22, 2018 11:57 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

Cable good, moved it to another port on the Pace. Trying Speed 1000baseT, and it failed with all indicators Red, however Speed 100baseTX works, and I turned off AVB/EAV; maybe AVB interrupting normal IP flow; I dunno for sure. So far so good. it's wait and see now, given the disconnects have been random.

Thanks much.

Aug 23, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesxserax,

Thanks for staying with me on this.

After several hours, the disconnects recurred again, about 5 minutes apart, then things returned for normal, as is the case now. Turning off AVB mode seems to have netted some improvement, but this is speculation on my part.

Changing to a 1000baseT capable modem seems like a great idea, but, unfortunately I own my Pace modem, and AT&T tech support told me that if I change to a newer modem, I must rent it from them for $7/month for the rest of my life. Uverse users hate that, and AT&T disallows the use of owned modems. The only other provider around here has a horrible reputation.

My Pace 5031 did pass the self diagnostics, and it supports all other devices on the Lan without error.

It appears I'll need to think "outside the box" and suspect unlikely causes of the Mac Pro disconnects. Given

that such disconnects are random and unpredictable, troubleshooting may takes weeks or months.

I appreciate your advice. I may want to start by disabling Firefox extensions; seems that the disconnects occur mostly during web access (inconclusive).

Thanks much!

Aug 24, 2018 7:16 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

Thanks for the many points you raised.

I should have clarified, my boot drive is external thunderbolt drive with 750 gigs free space on it. The Mac Pro internal drive is seldem used for anything.

Thanks too for advice on getting rid of CleanMyMac, it had planted two plist files that were locked down tight and I had to use TinkerTool to force delete them.

Firefox plugins, agree, I disabled most of them, may have to disable more.

Thanks, Bob Harris, for the Little Snitch info; I'll contact their developer and find out more. Next time network drops, I'll turn off LS and see if it comes back up.

Frequent Wired Internet Disconnects (Not wifi)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.