Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linux on Macbook

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with running Linux (Ubuntu, to be exact) on MacBook.
I have downloaded the LiveCD and tried to boot from it but then it froze.

I just wanted to test out Linux as I have never used it before.

Any suggestions?

White Macbook 2GhZ Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 11, 2007 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2007 6:04 AM

I have tried to boot ubuntu, off the live CD it worked fine. when I tried installing however, it hung at "configuring X". I believe it has something to do with the lack of video drivers.
11 replies

Feb 11, 2007 1:17 PM in response to Dom_Harrington

VMWare fusion is not freeware, it is a beta version. The beta will expire shortly after the commercial product is released. VMWare may release a Mac version of their free VMWare player, but they have not announced such a product yet.

Parallels is the only commercial VM product currently available for the Mac. Release date for Fusion has not yet been officially announced. Parallels retails for about $80 US, but can be found for much less at retail; expect Fusion to retail around $200 US, based upon pricing of their product on other platforms. For a free solution, look at bochs - it won't be as fast as fusion or Parallels, but it is free.

Feb 11, 2007 3:57 PM in response to Dom_Harrington

Well, given that Dom wanted to 'try out' Linux and Fusion lets him do that (albeit as a Beta and will soon end as 'free' product) i thought it was a better, cheaper solution to what was wanted.

If Dom likes Ubuntu or any other flavour of Linux, maybe he'll buy into Fusion when it goes Gold or then get Parallels. Either way, Dom has done what he wanted to do.

Incidentally, the Vista EULA apparently makes illegal the virtualization of some of its versions - including Basic....

Feb 12, 2007 5:36 AM in response to Dom_Harrington

Think not.

Fusion is a program running on OSX, with the Linux distro running inside Fusion. Ditto when using Parallels.

Boot Camp only works for WinOS apparently, so no luck there.

I don't know that there's any chance of simply partitioning the HDD and installing Linux (as is the case with PCs) so looks like you'll have to run OSX even when you don't need to.

Linux on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.