Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted iCloud files not showing in 'Recently Deleted'

My desktop is added to iCloud Drive, and recently I decided to migrate all my files from the desktop (so, from iCloud) to Dropbox.

I was copying the files over and then deleting them from the desktop, and then emptying the trash, as I was going along.

I then discovered that many of the files I had copied to Dropbox were .icloud files. It would appear that I had deleted the file, and also emptied the Trash, before it had fully copied over.

When I went in to iCloud Drive and looked at 'Recently Deleted' there was nothing there, in spite of having deleted hundreds of files from the desktop (so technically from iCloud) just a day or so previously.

My question is, why are those files not showing in 'Recently Deleted' and is there any way that I can recover the original files?

Many thanks

David

Posted on Aug 23, 2018 2:12 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 23, 2018 12:37 PM in response to silo2105

My experience has been not all files show in Recently Deleted.

Go to iCloud.com using a computer and select Settings. When that page loads, look at the bottom left side under Advanced and see if you can restore from there.

How to Recover Files, Contacts, Calendars and Reminders in iCloud

If that doesn't work, do you have a backup you can restore from?

Aug 24, 2018 4:00 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I tried what you suggested but it shows just three irrelevant TextEdit files, all of which were deleted on different days. This seems particularly odd seeing as I deleted hundreds of files off my iCloud-linked desktop only a few days ago.

"If that doesn't work, do you have a backup you can restore from?"

No, unfortunately not. My thinking was that it was on my desktop, and also therefore backed up on iCloud. How wrong could I have been.

After endlessly searching for a solution to this I have come to discover that iCloud/Dropbox pairings are inherently flawed. I only wish I hadn't had to lose a few hundred photographs to find this out. 😟

Deleted iCloud files not showing in 'Recently Deleted'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.