Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission control windows shrink / fly into center of screen and disappear into nothing

Exactly the same issue as described in mission control shrinks windows to nothing.

Running OSX 10.13.6 on a 2017 13" MacBook Air, and when going into mission control the animation shrinks all the windows down to a point in the middle of the screen where they disappear. From the previous post, here is a video of the issue.

Apple how do I fix this?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), 13" 2017 MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 8:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2018 8:57 PM

somecallmemike wrote:

@leroydouglas Thanks for the quick reply. I changed the location of the dock with no success, then ran the terminal killed the dock with no success.

What's odd, is if I open a second desktop and open some apps in that space mission control expands the windows as expected, but still fly's the windows into nothing on the original desktop space. If I close the first desktop the issue immediately applies to the newly opened desktop space and the windows disappear.

I am able to navigate the system fairly well as I am a Linux system admin, so if you have any more in depth places I could do some digging that would be helpful.

Very interesting.

I will have to give this some more thought.

In the mean time to trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen as certain system caches, dynamic loader cache etc get cleared and

rebuilt. This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account.

With your same Apple ID you can sign up for a free Developers Account and start a conversation with Apple engineers

Bug Reporter https://bugreport.apple.com/

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2018 8:57 PM in response to somecallmemike

somecallmemike wrote:

@leroydouglas Thanks for the quick reply. I changed the location of the dock with no success, then ran the terminal killed the dock with no success.

What's odd, is if I open a second desktop and open some apps in that space mission control expands the windows as expected, but still fly's the windows into nothing on the original desktop space. If I close the first desktop the issue immediately applies to the newly opened desktop space and the windows disappear.

I am able to navigate the system fairly well as I am a Linux system admin, so if you have any more in depth places I could do some digging that would be helpful.

Very interesting.

I will have to give this some more thought.

In the mean time to trouble shoot further you can:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen as certain system caches, dynamic loader cache etc get cleared and

rebuilt. This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account.

With your same Apple ID you can sign up for a free Developers Account and start a conversation with Apple engineers

Bug Reporter https://bugreport.apple.com/

Aug 27, 2018 8:16 PM in response to somecallmemike

Ha ha that is great, best thing I have seen in a while.

My first instinct is try changing the location of your Dock ( to the bottom) and see if that makes a difference.

My second thought is try relaunching the Mission Control feature—it is controlled by the Dock as well.

From the Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

Launch the terminal and copy and paste:

killall Dock

Use the return key to enter the command. You can quit terminal either it worked or it didn't.

Aug 27, 2018 8:45 PM in response to leroydouglas

Aug 28, 2018 10:14 PM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas, booting into safe mode restored the mission control functionality when I opened photos and preview. I restarted and found that mission control was working correctly when I reopened chrome and notepad. It's when I opened a DJ software that I downloaded that the mission control issues started again, and were restored when I exited the software. So it looks like this is specifically due to the app Cross DJ Free software. Thanks for your help!

Aug 28, 2018 10:20 PM in response to somecallmemike

somecallmemike wrote:

@leroydouglas, booting into safe mode restored the mission control functionality when I opened photos and preview. I restarted and found that mission control was working correctly when I reopened chrome and notepad. It's when I opened a DJ software that I downloaded that the mission control issues started again, and were restored when I exited the software. So it looks like this is specifically due to the app Cross DJ Free software. Thanks for your help!

Good computing somecallmemike ! Thanks for the feedback.

Mission control windows shrink / fly into center of screen and disappear into nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.