Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot to Windows 7 after Partitioning

Hello,

I saw a similar post, but slightly different situation. Using the Disk Utility in my High Sierra to make my Macintosh HD partition smaller, hoping to free some space, I saw a new partition Untitled created. Was not sure what to do next, hoping this new partition would go back to Macintosh HD again, I deleted it using [-] still in Disk Utility.

After that, when I restart the mac I cannot see the icon for the BOOTCAMP.

Here are the outputs for commands I saw in other post, but for my mac. I have a hard disk attached to my MacBook just for data storage.

User uploaded file

Also,

User uploaded file

Meanwhile, the Disk Utility shows the partitions below.

User uploaded file

I just would like to boot in Windows 7 again without no hidden(?) damage in the partitions.

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Aug 29, 2018 9:36 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Aug 30, 2018 4:21 AM in response to jmura

Sorry, considering the time difference (I am in Tokyo), using the advices for similar case in this site, I already have done below. I now can boot in to Windows, though am not too sure if I did not mess up something.

Below I did after disabling SIP.

Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now if I check the status, the outputs are the same except for 'sudo fdisk /dev/disk0' as shown below.

User uploaded file

Again, things seem to be normal again in both Mac and Windows. I just am hoping I did not mess up something without knowing it... since I have no idea what I have done.

Will post it if anything bad happens later.

Aug 31, 2018 7:51 PM in response to jmura

jmura wrote:

Then tried to use Comptune and failed due to the change that I made.

Camptune has it's limitations.

jmura wrote:

In any case, then 1:1 mapping is broken now. Maybe I shall just delete Bootcamp and reinstall Windows as soon as I find (or buy) my Windows disk. Would you sat it is basically the only choice to really clean things up?

Using Products: Belarc Advisor you can extract the W7 Product Key. Using the Product Key, you can Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files) and burn it to a blank DVD. You can rebuild the 1:1 mapping without removing the current BC installation, using GPT Fdisk and rebuilding the MBR using 2 3 4.

jmura wrote:

And do I need to clean up Mac, too, after the Bootcamp is gone? (The data are all saved somewhere else.)

If you use BC Assistant, it does the proper cleanup, without using Disk Utility.

Aug 30, 2018 8:37 PM in response to jmura

Okay, something IS wrong, kind of. I purchased a rather popular software to expand the Bootcamp partition. Now it says I cannot use it because it "can resize adjacent Macintosh HD and Bootcamp volumes only. On this computer the supported configuration is not found." It seems I have to buy, from them, the one that can cope with other configurations, which, of course, costs more.

I guess I would better Windows 7 (or 10) again since, actually, I cannot find this Windows installation disk (while I see all the other disks in my storage). Then, delete the Bootcamp partition and redo everything. (sigh)

I only used Disk Utility twice, nothing else, to get into this trouble in the first place. I do not think this is right.

Aug 31, 2018 6:53 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you very much for the response.

Actually, I already have considered it. Just too expensive for me since I do not mind installing Windows 7 (or 10) from scratch. Although am still missing the Windows installation disk, even when I buy a new one, not too much difference between the prices for Winclone (about 6,000 Yen) and for Windows 10 (about 10,000 Yen).

But, another reason for not choosing Winclone now is that I am not too sure the partitions are good enough for Winclone to really work after me doing the above.

For now, I have uninstalled many software from Windows that I was not using much, while looking for my old Windows 7 installation disk (I moved around many times over the years and somehow separated that disk from other disks).

Thanks again, though.

Aug 31, 2018 7:33 PM in response to Loner T

I see. I thought 2 3 4 was for things shown after 'diskutil list' and thought, since the original post has one more partition compared to mine, maybe I should make one less. Silly, now that I think of it.

In any case, I did a lot of Web search so was not thinking of using Minitool, which seems risky. But, in any case, thought as long as I use only Disk Utility, nothing would go wrong. So before I made that decision (not to use Minitool) I had tried Disk Utility and then tried to recover from it, again using just Disk Utility.

Then tried to use Comptune and failed due to the change that I made.

In any case, then 1:1 mapping is broken now. Maybe I shall just delete Bootcamp and reinstall Windows as soon as I find (or buy) my Windows disk. Would you sat it is basically the only choice to really clean things up? And do I need to clean up Mac, too, after the Bootcamp is gone? (The data are all saved somewhere else.)

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Aug 31, 2018 8:06 PM in response to Loner T

Thank you so much! Had no idea such a method exists to regain my Windows installation DVD. Will try it soon, though probably after finishing an urgent job in the next two weeks...

And will try to fix my non-1:1, too, the same time. For the moment, just would like to keep things as is for the job.

Thank you very much again. Will post the results as soon as when I am done.

Sep 21, 2018 7:59 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

One job using Windows done, and I finally tried 2 3 4 instead of 3 4 as shown below, which made things right, it seems, so far. Afterwards, Camptune stopped giving me any error message, and I succeeded to expand the partition for Boot Camp. (Was worried a little due to some negative review for Camptune somewhere, but it seems to have worked for me.)

Sudo gdisk /dev/rdisk0

P

R

O

H

2 3 4

Y

N <for #2>

N <for #3>

Y <for #4>

< No "Unused partition..." question asked here this time, since 2 3 4 is used instead of 3 4 >

O

W

Y

(Again, only change was '3 4' to '2 3 4.')

Also, as for the missing installation DVD for Windows 7, I actually have the empty case and realized I got the product key on it. Was not aware that the product key was the key. I actually totally forgot how I installed the Windows 7 years ago... So, I went to the Microsoft site that you suggested above and got ISO files for future use.

Thank you so much for both of your suggestions. I appreciate your time and work!

Can't boot to Windows 7 after Partitioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.