Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade my operating system?

I am currently running Mac OS 10.5.8 on an old MacBook Pro. How do I upgrade the OS?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2018 5:56 AM

An "old" MacBook Pro does not help much to identify your model. Go to Apple menu > About this Mac, Year and RAM will determine whether you can upgrade and to which system. This support topic outlines your options even if you can't upgrade to High Sierra:

How to download macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

But your first step would be to install 10.6.8 if your Mac supports it.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Sage1913

An "old" MacBook Pro does not help much to identify your model. Go to Apple menu > About this Mac, Year and RAM will determine whether you can upgrade and to which system. This support topic outlines your options even if you can't upgrade to High Sierra:

How to download macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

But your first step would be to install 10.6.8 if your Mac supports it.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple

Aug 30, 2018 6:35 AM in response to Sage1913

If you’re running 10.5.8, you buy a Snow Leopard DVD from the link macjack posted, and then update to 10.6.8. A MacBook Pro which originally shipped with Leopard can run El Capitan; one running Leopard can be updated at least as far as 10.6.8.

If you’re running 10.8.5, you download El Capitan or High Sierra from the Mac App Store.

(163770)

How do I upgrade my operating system?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.